Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

too much candy for my baby

Hi. DS is almost 6 years old. I have controlled his sugar intake very well. He eats healthy at home....however. this year he started preschool and since january, he asks me to give him money for school because all his friends buy sweets and icee and sodas during aftercare....i have been giving him money because i dont want him to feel left out among his buddies but its killing me that he is eating sooo much candy!!! Dont get me wrong, i have bought him sweets before, i let him be a kid...but eating garbage every day sounds too much for him!! I dont know what to do!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Replies (11-17):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Your the mom.  You get to decide this.  I think limiting it to once a week is perfect!  or maybe you can even try to bribe him..like, instead of giving him money for the vending machines, maybe put that money into a jar..and then at the end of a couple weeks..or month he will have enuff saved up to buy himself a cool lil car or something (or whatever he's in to)

Txlisa7969
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My little man is 6 and in Kindergarten.  He doesn't go to after school care but what I do is if he has all good behavior reports all week he gets a treat on Friday.  We will stop for an ice cream cone or an Icee.  I agree with the other Moms that making it a once a week treat would be a perfect compromise. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I'm so lucky our school is basically a no candy place.

It's completely frowned upon and I'm GLAD.

I wish there were more places like it, what is the POINT of all the candy everywhere?!

It no longer is a "TREAT" when you get it at school, church, bday parties, home parties, every effing holiday on the planet and just because.

No one practices this moderation they speak of let alone understand what it is. Makes me angry lol can you tell.

If I want to give my kids something sweet I would like the option to do it myself. Not contend with what they already had that day away from home. Maddedning!!

Aamy
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Simple. Dont give him the money. Or only give it to him once a week. 

Katenemsmom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I recently had a talk with my daughter's childcare. She was coming home every day with a lollipop for helping to clean up. Stop sending money and talk to the school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I'm in shock that preschoolers are offered icees and soda!

ali840
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Me, too! I would definitely talk to other moms and the school, for sure. Also, why is he six and just now starting preschool? Not bashing, just wondering.

Quoting jabs54:

I'm in shock that preschoolers are offered icees and soda!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)