Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

No bottle before bedtime

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
  • 39 Replies
So I'm a first time mom to an almost 8 month baby boy. How important and how can I succeed at putting him to sleep with out a bottle? I keep reading about how bad it is because of tooth decay. Any useful advice and tips are welcomed... :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I'm not sure what anyone else will tell you - but I've always found babys and tiny toddies go to sleep better with a full belly. I work in childcare and nobody's ever mentioned tooth decay before. In fact it's routine for ALL the kids that are still on bottles to have them right before they go to sleep. It relaxes them and helps calm their bodies. I wouldn't worry too much about tooth decay. There are wayyyy worse things that can cause tooth decay than a bottle. :)

Sunshine257
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Yeah my mom gave me a bottle to bed. She rotted all my teeth. I had silver caps growing up and was always made fun of. If you are going to give baby a bottle make sure it is water.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd make sure the child was full, and only give water in the bottle at bedtime...formula in the bottle before bedtime, water afterwards

Odalis05
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I am also struggling with the bottle before bedtime with my 19 month old.  Along with my concerns about his teeth being healthy, my son still depends on the bottle to calm down to fall asleep both at bed time and nap time.  

funhappymom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

How many teeth does your little one have? I think I'd be more concerned after 1 with tooth decay than now. He's still a little too young in my opinion to be weening him from a bottle at bedtime. Is he falling asleep with the bottle in his mouth or is he having a bottle before he goes to sleep?

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Quoting emmy526:

i'd make sure the child was full, and only give water in the bottle at bedtime...formula in the bottle before bedtime, water afterwards

This is what I do too

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM
It's fine to give them one be for bed it's if u put them to bed with the bottle that's the issue it best to give him the bottle then put him to bed u don't want to put him to bed with a bottle if u have to put water in it
Rhodin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I always brushed my kids' teeth after Last Call.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Just don't. Also at a year move to only sippys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieMom219
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I'm not sure I would worry about tooth decayright now. Babies  and full bellies make for an entrancing "take a break" for mom.  I HAVE seen, and this really scares me, mothers who give their babies Coke in their bottles and other things that are very sugary and harmful.  I would think that formula and/or breast mile at bedtime is fine. Just nothing like juice or other sweetened drinks in the bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN