Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

delivering the baby + mil...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 58 Replies
Ok so, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and at our first sonogram my mil asked if was was going to be in the room during delivery (our hospital allows 2 people in the delivery room with you) I politely said yes, unless my dad is here, he lives out of state but will be flying down in a few days and staying a few weeks. Both my mil and my hubby said its weird that I would pick my dad over her to be there for me. First off, I grew up without my mom, I've very close to my dad, I'm his only child and this is his first grandchild. My hubby is the baby of the family, I get that his momma is excited, this will be her 13th grandchild and she has been there for the birth of most of them. Am I wrong or weird to want my dad there for and to experiencethe birth of his grandson? This is my first baby, and yes I'm nervous!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM

It is really up to you. I'd be uneasy about my dad seeing my lady parts, - for me I'd have him wait and then bring him to see the baby after the baby arrives.

WillsMOM72
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I don't think it's weird at all. Does your dad want to be back there during labor? If not, then you could let mil but I'd talk to your dad first.
LaideBug
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this
The way I see it you are the one doing all the actual work so it should be your choice who should be there to make this experience most comfortable and enjoyable for you.
blondie.mom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
It's your choice who is in the room. She can always be in the waiting area and come in once you are cleaned up and resting.
skittlebeans88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
You're close to your dad. Don't feel embarrassed that you'd want him there. I bet he'd feel honored.
annieb863
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this
My dad wants to be there! He is so excited lol. He had a heart attack that almost killed him when I was 5 months pregnant, so him being there means a lot to me and him. My mil just brought this subject up with me again the other day, that's why I posted this, my answer to her was the same as before and now she won't talk to me. Hahaha....
OliviaW.
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Personally I banned my mil from the room while I was delivering. She was saying how she was going to take pictures of the baby coming out. Dh told her no but she kept saying it. So when the time came I told the nurses that my dh & mom were allowed to be in there. My mil was pissed off to say the least.
paytonleximomma
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I would pick my parent over hubbys parents hands down.  If you where close to your dad all your life than if he is there I would let him be there not your MIL who has been around for looks of births of her grandchildren.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
It was my big sister and husband with me. My mil asked if I would put the phone on speaker so they could hear from the waiting room. I said no. They all waited in the waiting area.
sp1357
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My suggestion is to go with what makes you most comfortable regardless of who's feelings might get hurt. Birthing a baby is all about you. When it comes to crunch time you will want those you feel closest to, to be with you and ease your anxiety. You want labor partners based on who you feel will support and help make decisions WITH you. As you describe, that would be your husband and your dad. Your mil will get over it and if not thats fine. All that matters is what you want, she's not doing any pushing. In a worse case scenerio something goes wrong who would you want there? I'm sure if tell her from that perspective she'd understand. O and if she ask again don't even entertain her, tell her no you want your dad there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured