Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What is your sunscreen policy for your children?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 38 Replies

From what I hear and read, a person can get up to 10 minutes a day of sun and get all of the Vit D they need. After that they should wear sunscreen whether sunny out, rainy, in between.  What is your policy on sunscreen and protective clothing on your children?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxxsmom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I put sunscreen on my 14 month old whenever we go outside for prolonged periods of time. Even though I use SPF 70+ she still manages to get a little color, must be the Hispanic in her. My niece is 5 and has very sensitive skin so she also needs sunscreen when she goes out.
armyvet06
by Ashley on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I will put sunscreen on my 2 year old if we are going to be outside for awhile. But if we are only going to be outside for just a few minutes then I don't worry about putting anything on her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rhodin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM
4 moms liked this

I use sunscreen when we go to the beach and protective clothing for long walking trips.  If it's just a trip to the park or me sending them out to play while I make dinner, then I don't really do anything special in the way of clothes, other than make sure they're wearing pants.

holland0226
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sunscreen every day before school, she puts it on at school before recess and gym, and at home whenever she plays outside, we do however live in Hawaii and so I have to be ultra careful since she has red hair. Her classmates are mixed Hawaiian, Filipino and Asian and they don't understand why she needs sunscreen, LOL!

LoveMyKBabies
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I put sunscreen on my kids. They look like lobsters (like me) if I don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM
We live in N.E. Pennsylvania so I only use it when they are going to be outside for awhile in the hot sun. Normal short periods outside like school recess and sports practices don't require it unless its very hot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Protective clothing. We (baby and me) are allergic to sunscreen lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JC2223
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is going to be outside in direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes, she gets sunblocked.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM

we only use sunscreen during the summer..it goes on when she gets dressed in the morning..as well as again in the afternoon...

anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We actually hardly ever use it.  I know we should, but we just don't.  Nobody burns, ever, so we just always forget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN