Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What should an almost 4 month old be doing?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 4 Replies
I'm just wondering what they should be doing at this age. Such as eating (how much?), sleeping, soothing(?), ect.
ALSO
I almost have to say that my son is very difficult compared to most. I can't hardly lay him down for a nap without him freaking out... He's spent most of his life being put to sleep in a vibrating chair and I'm now trying to wean him out of it. He needs to get used to his playpen cuz we're going on a trip in June and that'll be his bed! This morning it took me 40 mins to finally get to sleep but he only napped in there for like 15 mins. And he only can be soothed in a bouncing motion. So I use a fitness ball.

And is piercing screams normal?? He's been doin that since he was a couple weeks old. And it hasn't gotten any better. When he gets upset, man there's almost no stopping it. Would like your thoughts PLZ!

He's also beginning to teethe! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RainieDaze
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

My son is 4 months old as well, do you FF or BF? His piercing screams are probably a sign of gas. My son went through a phase where he would just cry and arch his back - I started feeding him with Dr.Brown's bottles and formula (my breast milk just made him gassy no matter what I tried, I don't eat dairy, I wasn't having any caffeine, no high intake of fiberous foods, it just gave him bad bad gas!) For the most part he was a very content baby except for when he would get those gassy spells, and then he'd get even more gassy because he was screaming and gulping down more air. After switching to formula and those bottles he is almost always happy. Hardly cries at all. I know everybody says that BM is the best choice, etc etc. But I would much rather my baby be happy and healthy than worry about him getting what is "all natural" but be miserable all the time! I don't enforce nap times or feeding times, when he is hungry I feed him, when he is really tired he will fall asleep pretty much anywhere. Just listen to his cues - he will put himself on a schedule. Play when he wants to play, feed him when he wants to eat, and sleeping will come in its own due time.

RainieDaze
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Oh and my son eats about 30 oz of formula per day, about 14 hrs of total sleep in a day (mostly at night, maybe 4 hrs total nap time, 1 1 hr nap, 2 30 min naps, and 1 2 hr nap) He can soothe himself pretty well but sometimes he needs a binky reinsertion when he's too tired to do it himself. Just remember when he is trying to fall asleep some babies like silence, my baby wants no noise when he is passing out but as soon as he is out I can vaccuum, turn on music, watch tv, hammer things into the wall lol. But he won't fall asleep with tons of noise around him.

Kazmira222
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I FF. And idk if it's always gas cuz he'll freak out every time I lay him down. Whether it's on the floor, in his bed, ect. And he won't fall asleep on his own.. He'll stay awake and fuss until I do something about it >.> he's just so needy. Sometimes my parents don't know what to do cuz apparently my brother and I were "easy babies" lol I must be so blessed lol

Quoting RainieDaze:

My son is 4 months old as well, do you FF or BF? His piercing screams are probably a sign of gas. My son went through a phase where he would just cry and arch his back - I started feeding him with Dr.Brown's bottles and formula (my breast milk just made him gassy no matter what I tried, I don't eat dairy, I wasn't having any caffeine, no high intake of fiberous foods, it just gave him bad bad gas!) For the most part he was a very content baby except for when he would get those gassy spells, and then he'd get even more gassy because he was screaming and gulping down more air. After switching to formula and those bottles he is almost always happy. Hardly cries at all. I know everybody says that BM is the best choice, etc etc. But I would much rather my baby be happy and healthy than worry about him getting what is "all natural" but be miserable all the time! I don't enforce nap times or feeding times, when he is hungry I feed him, when he is really tired he will fall asleep pretty much anywhere. Just listen to his cues - he will put himself on a schedule. Play when he wants to play, feed him when he wants to eat, and sleeping will come in its own due time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainieDaze
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Maybe he is just craving closeness? Try using one of those rice heating pad things, the long tube ones, heat it up to about body temperature and place it next to him or behind him when he sleeps. It will trick him into thinking his momma is next to him. Lol I'm no expert though, my baby is pretty easy honestly, but I basically raised my nieces and they were not as easy. Just suggestions!

Quoting Kazmira222:

I FF. And idk if it's always gas cuz he'll freak out every time I lay him down. Whether it's on the floor, in his bed, ect. And he won't fall asleep on his own.. He'll stay awake and fuss until I do something about it >.> he's just so needy. Sometimes my parents don't know what to do cuz apparently my brother and I were "easy babies" lol I must be so blessed lol

Quoting RainieDaze:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)