Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Belly button

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 17 Replies
My son is 7 months old. His umbilical cord never completely fell off, so the doctor put some medicine on it to make it fall off. The doctor called it a grandulosas. It now looks like he has a tongue sticking out of the hole the way the skin fell off and the other skin grew. I am worried he won't like it when he gets older, be self conscious about it or be made fun of for it. Would you have surgery done to fix it? Why or why not?
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Has the doctor mentioned that as an option? I would not. I don't like unnecessary procedures being done on anyone, least of all my children...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I would not do surgery on it. Teach him to be proud of his differences.  Now if he wants to do it when he is an adult, he can.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:13 AM
My son had that but now at 5 it looks normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I agree with this. If it's not hurting anything and the only concern is not looking like everyone else, leave it and treat it like there is nothing wrong. If he wants to make that choice one day it's up to him.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would not do surgery on it. Teach him to be proud of his differences.  Now if he wants to do it when he is an adult, he can.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Let your Ds decide, my mom got a tummy tuck and now has no belly button. Seriously freaks people out. She decided she didn't need it why keep it. Now she sees why, so she can where those bikini bathing suits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katemckenzie
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM

LOL easier said than done. Being proud of my differences got the shit beat out of me in middle school, same for one of my best friends, except she nearly died from her injuries.

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Unless he goes around flashing people.  No one would know about his navel being different aside from gym class in the later grades if there is still a PE class in school systems.  I grew up wearing glasses from preschool through high school and still wear them.  I also had braces for 5 years.  Thanks to my network of friends  I was not beat up but did get the horrible teasing.

Quoting katemckenzie:

LOL easier said than done. Being proud of my differences got the shit beat out of me in middle school, same for one of my best friends, except she nearly died from her injuries.

Quoting frndlyfn:

katemckenzie
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM

DS is 2, and already gets teased by the older kids at his playgroup, because of his chest scar from his heart surgery. Kids find a way of knowing. Kids are cruel. And kids also have a habit of lifting their shirts up for no reason.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Unless he goes around flashing people.  No one would know about his navel being different aside from gym class in the later grades if there is still a PE class in school systems.  I grew up wearing glasses from preschool through high school and still wear them.  I also had braces for 5 years.  Thanks to my network of friends  I was not beat up but did get the horrible teasing.

Quoting katemckenzie:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM

My brother has that lovely war wound as well from his heart surgery.  If it is not one thing, it is another if a child really wants to tease another.   I have seen a child be teased because they had one hair out of place on their head.  DD was lucky that when she got her glasses 2 of her friends already had them, mommy and daddy have them as well as her teacher last year so teasing really wouldnt get anyone anywhere.  One of her friends had a cleft lip as a baby that was surgically fixed so there is a scar on her mouth from it.

For OP's situationi unless it inhibits his daily life or endangers his life, I would leave it alone to see how it could possibly get smaller.

Quoting katemckenzie:

DS is 2, and already gets teased by the older kids at his playgroup, because of his chest scar from his heart surgery. Kids find a way of knowing. Kids are cruel. And kids also have a habit of lifting their shirts up for no reason.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting katemckenzie:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hapsand123
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Seems like it would just be temporary. No surgery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured