Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Why does he eat so much??

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a 9 month old who was born prematurely.  He was 33 inches long, 17lbs at his checkup, and the doctor said at his 9 month check up he was on the low end of weight, but the high end for his length.  His dad and I both are under 5'7, so it's weird he is so long already.  Anyways, he wants to eat 24/7.  For example, yesterday he ate 5 jars of baby food, a cup of yogurt, a finely diced up baked plain chicken breast, 4 teething cookies, and some vermicilli rice with cheese.  He also had 4 bottles of milk, and a bottle of apple juice.  He get so angry when I make him stop eating.  The doctor said his diet is fine, and he can have as much table food as I can give him, but he eats more than his 2 yr old brother, and his 5 yr old sister!  Why is he eating this much?  His health is very healthy too, so there are no stomach problems with him.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

When you say "milk" you mean breastmilk or formula, right?  How many oz are the bottles you're giving him?  Breastmilk or formula are the primary source of nutrition in an infant under 12 months of age. So depending on how many oz he's getting in his bottle, it is possible that even with all the table food he's eating, he's still hungry because he isn't getting the RIGHT nutrition.  Under a year of age, their bodies aren't designed to pull the nutrients out of foods they way ours are.  So even though he's eating all that, it may just be filling him up and emptying out.  He many not be getting what he needs.

ETA-- I would cut out the juice.  Definitely doesn't need that.  Even natural juice has too much sugar in it. I would replace that bottle with another bottle of "milk" or just a few oz of water.

sweetmomma326
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Yes, it's not cows milk I give him.  He gets 8oz bottles. He also gets the vitamin drops for babies just to make sure his iron or anything doesn't get too low where he was born early.

Quoting jackiewal10:

When you say "milk" you mean breastmilk or formula, right?  How many oz are the bottles you're giving him?  Breastmilk or formula are the primary source of nutrition in an infant under 12 months of age. So depending on how many oz he's getting in his bottle, it is possible that even with all the table food he's eating, he's still hungry because he isn't getting the RIGHT nutrition.  Under a year of age, their bodies aren't designed to pull the nutrients out of foods they way ours are.  So even though he's eating all that, it may just be filling him up and emptying out.  He many not be getting what he needs.

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I don't think that is low for weight. And what he us eating sounds normal to me.

At 9mo my Ds was eating 3 meals and 3 smacks, 3 6oz bottles, and a few sippers of water/juice daily
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Growing spurt most likely.

sweetmomma326
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Quoting mommaFruFru:

I don't think that is low for weight. And what he us eating sounds normal to me.

At 9mo my Ds was eating 3 meals and 3 smacks, 3 6oz bottles, and a few sippers of water/juice daily

He was only 5lbs at birth, and she told me at 17lbs he was in the 3rd percentile...My 2 yr old was only 19lbs at 12-18 months. He is just now at 24lbs and is 25 months old.
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM
It amazes me how % vary by area.

My youngest was 31.5in. And 15lbs at 9mo. 90% for height and 8th for weight.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

He was only 5lbs at birth, and she told me at 17lbs he was in the 3rd percentile...My 2 yr old was only 19lbs at 12-18 months. He is just now at 24lbs and is 25 months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmomma326
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Well I do live in one of the unhealthiest states, but he was in the 95% for his length.  I feed my family really healthy meals to keep them from getting excess calories from junk, but apparantly it is starving my son and he is too small according to the doctor.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

It amazes me how % vary by area.

My youngest was 31.5in. And 15lbs at 9mo. 90% for height and 8th for weight.

Quoting sweetmomma326:

Quoting mommaFruFru:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

He could just be naturally thin.  My dd was like that and she was breastfed.  High end for height, not even on chart for weight she was so thin. Everyone was worried until they met my dad.  He is 6/7 and maybe 175lbs soaking wet.    Give him some oatmeal (regular not baby) and fresh fruits for the fruit portion instead of juice.  I am betting he would love a fresh mashed banana or finely diced pear to munch on.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM

He's a hungry and growing baby boy.  My son ate like a pig at that age.  I wouldn't worry

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM

How many onces are you giving him of formula or breastmilk in the bottles?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN