Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Can a 2yr old have OCD?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 110 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son always puts his chairs in a straight line. And sometimes lines up his toys and other things. His most recent line was a scooter, four chairs, two toy trucks and a wagon being pulled by a horse shapes magnet. What does this mean? It seems so strange. Sometimes he does it when I ask him to clean up and other time for no reason.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opal10161973
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I was going to write the same thing!  If he is high functioning autistic, the signs may not be apparent yet.

Quoting bnkirk24:

I don't know about ocd but I know kids with autism that do that. ask his pediatrician if your really concerned

mom2jasper
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I was concerned when I saw that on a list for signs of autism. But that was the only thing on there that fit him
mom2jasper
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM
The article I read on autism said that autistic children sometimes do this in place of playing with the toys, but he does play with them well. He does imaginative play very well. This is just usually his way of "cleaning"
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Mine never did it. I agree with autism as a possible cause. Could be early ocd also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like train that any child would make. 
My daughter has OCD tendencies and CMS (the cause of all of it).
She would line things up and FREAK out if you messed them up. She would cry and shake and have to fix it.
But they cannot diagnose her with OCD till she is older, and I am not worried right now.  

karenax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has Aspergers and used to do the same thing. I knew he lined his cars in groups of two and didn't think anything of it. My daughter  was babysitting and noticed that he line all his dinosaurs all around the coffee table. She moved one by accident and he quickly put it back. This went on all day. When ever he left the room she would move random ones ever so slightly and when he returned he knew immediately which one. I did the same moving different ones so little it was barely noticeable that even I forgot which ones but he knew.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
8 moms liked this

When you clean your house, do you line stuff up on the counter or coffee table or in the bathroom on the counter?  He could be just imitating you cleaning.....

momofcrazypants
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

My DS used to do this with his blocks and dinosaurs. He doesn't do it much at all anymore now that he's 3. I wouldn't worry too much yet, he's still little. I do think my DS may have some OCD tendencies, which really isn't that big of a surprise considering DH and I do as well.

Sewsofun
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM
4 moms liked this

have you tried asking him?  Maybe say "look!  you made a choo choo train! but now we have to put the toys away"  and then show him how even though he might know already maybe he's being a stinker and you're so baffled you don't even know.  If he becomes very upset by the idea of moving them back then you can maybe lean towards some of those other things.  but he could just be trying to push your buttons.  They don't call it terrible two's for nothing.

jessi2girls
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM

because in his little mind he is the conductor of a train!!! lolol.. honestly I have no idea.. and he's likely a bit too young to worry about it as of yet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN