Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

im taking my ex to court for custody and its making me fear my life

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 24 Replies

Bc the court behind my back gave him my address even though i legit been hiding from him.  Now that i am taking him for custody bc our verbal agreement did not work out (one day he just stop sharing her with me)  now im afraid that he will go after me for trying to take her away...theres nothing i can do unless something happens and by then it could be too late!  I hear about this happening all the time and thats scary....no im not trolling this is an actually situtation...has anyone else been through this?> if so if you couldnt get the cops involved how did you deal with it?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Did you file for emergency custody right away?  And make a report for threatening your life however that went down.

I have not been through it myself but have watched others go through it since they mistakenly thought that verbal agreements would hold up in court or with police.

roxiekittie
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

Did you file for emergency custody right away?  And make a report for threatening your life however that went down.

I have not been through it myself but have watched others go through it since they mistakenly thought that verbal agreements would hold up in court or with police.

i cant make a report without proof, i want to try to call the police just in case they have something anything they can do, but i doubt it, i didnt even know about emergency custody.....my court date is in 2 weeks i legit sit here crying, this is how afraid i am

CafeMom Tickers

ShannonRoe
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Was your baby born out of wedlock? In some states the mom has automatic custody untill the father has visitation rights?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ShannonRoe
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I have full custody and their sperm donor has nothing. He's never went to court to get visitation, and hasn't seen them in 5 yrs
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Can you stay with someone or have someone stay with you?

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM
The police can't really do anything without proof. My dad told me in front of my then 3yr old he would kill my husband. And the court still denied my protective order, I also had texts and emails but they said its not proof.

With court they always give the address. And if you share custody they other always know where each other lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxiekittie
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Quoting ShannonRoe:

Was your baby born out of wedlock? In some states the mom has automatic custody untill the father has visitation rights?

yeah this isnt one of those states

CafeMom Tickers

roxiekittie
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM

itsn ot right that they do that!  im just upping my security measures as much as i can for now, but he knows or he should at least know hes going ot lose so i know this is making him crazy mad, at least it will when he gets the petition! 

Quoting lilmama8408:

The police can't really do anything without proof. My dad told me in front of my then 3yr old he would kill my husband. And the court still denied my protective order, I also had texts and emails but they said its not proof.

With court they always give the address. And if you share custody they other always know where each other lives.

CafeMom Tickers

jupiter5
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I would get my gun and a holster, keep it on me at all times unless I'm in a locked room then it stays nearby, problem solved
DarlaHood
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

My advice is to call a local Domestic Violence hotline or Women's Shelter.  In most places, if you dial 211, that is the number that is a directory for non-profit services, and they can direct you. 

Organizations that help women with domestic violence have information about how to best protect yourself.  And there are privacy laws, so there are ways to protect your personal information.  You just need to get help to know how.  For instance, you might be able to get a Post Office Box, and use that as your address if you change residences. 

Filing for emergency custody is not the same as filing a police report.  You don't have to have proof to file for emergency custody, but ultimately it will be up to the judge. 

Document EVERYTHING on a calendar with dates and times.  And if you file for a restraining order, it may give you a reason to have him removed if he comes near your home, but don't be lulled into thinking it will protect you.  It is a tool to make certain actions illegal, but it doesn't stop someone who is determined to hurt you.  Again, a shelter or D.V. organization will have information about these issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)