Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bird Feeders *Edit* More Bird Pics!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I'm posting this just because I'm curious. I recently got a nice big bird feeder, can hold 6 lbs of seed, has a red roof and "tray" around it, kinda roundish. Anyway, I started out with never seeing any birds, then only a couple, now I have a whole flock of House Finches and House Sparrows with the occasional Grackle, once a Cardinal and one little bitty Chipping Sparrow. I have seed all over in the grass and on our little cement patio area. We live in an apartment complex on the first floor and I set it up on a big hook that sinks partially into the ground, about 4-5 feet from our sliding glass doors.

Now I have no problem with the large amount of seed/shells scattered all over, and I love the fact that I now have about 20-30 little birds visit throughout the day. My 5 year old daughter and even 11 month old daughter love it as much as I do, sitting and watching the birds, watching for new species, and I love taking pics of them with our amazing camera I can zoom in very close.

If you were my neighbors would you be at all irritated by a large flock of small birds flitting around? Do you think a landlord would care about bird seed shells laying around in the grass (the grass isn't that nice and has patches of dirt)? Often the little birds fly back to a near by tree when they get scared. I love these birds though because we aren't allowed pets and this is the closest thing I'm going to get to one right now. I love it when I notice a new species eating, I love the wonderful pics I've getting, and I've never seen House Finches until now, the males are very pretty, posting pic. From left to right House Sparrow male, House Finch female and House Finch male!! The males are getting brighter every day, and they are all getting fatter lol.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM

House Finch Male Close up!!

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Female House finch, look at that stripy belly :)

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Cute little Chipping Sparrow male, he was new at the feeder today and the only one of his species so far :)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM

When they start pooping on my car, yes i would be irritated unless you pay for it to be washed.  One of our neighbors had to take their bird feeder down due to the pooping all over the place.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM

A mix of male and female House Sparrows, these guys are always everywhere lol

OliviaW.
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM
When we were in a apartment the landlord didn't care. The neighbors didn't care either. The only complaint we ever got use from our upstairs neighbor, a bird was vert happy about getting a free meal and was very vocal about thanking us with a pretty song early in the morning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM

They just fly from the feeder/grass back to their tree. I don't see any bird poop on any cars as of yet and the feeder has been up about a week or so.

Quoting frndlyfn:

When they start pooping on my car, yes i would be irritated unless you pay for it to be washed.  One of our neighbors had to take their bird feeder down due to the pooping all over the place.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM

There are other feeders around so I figured it wouldn't be a problem, I think ours is so popular right now because we actually have seed in it lol. As of yet the birds aren't very noisy, they chirp and such, but they are very small birds so not so noisy. I guess for me I also figured others would enjoy seeing the birds and hearing them, there are also a lot of kids around here so I thought they'd like them too. I think bird watching is quite fun, but then I love animals of all sorts :)

Quoting OliviaW.:

When we were in a apartment the landlord didn't care. The neighbors didn't care either. The only complaint we ever got use from our upstairs neighbor, a bird was vert happy about getting a free meal and was very vocal about thanking us with a pretty song early in the morning.

OliviaW.
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I like it too. We're now in a house and our bird baths that the people left we use as bird feeders. The cat is always glued to the windows.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

There are other feeders around so I figured it wouldn't be a problem, I think ours is so popular right now because we actually have seed in it lol. As of yet the birds aren't very noisy, they chirp and such, but they are very small birds so not so noisy. I guess for me I also figured others would enjoy seeing the birds and hearing them, there are also a lot of kids around here so I thought they'd like them too. I think bird watching is quite fun, but then I love animals of all sorts :)

Quoting OliviaW.:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Ya its so much fun, also I stay at home with the kids right now and do a lot of work on the computer trying to get things going to work from home and with the set up of the living room I can sit on the couch as I work on the laptop and watch the birds eat, play and I take some photos. I want to get a bird bath too for other species and I'd like to set out fruit, but I dont know that I have room for a bird bath and I'd be afraid of what else fruit would attract. I really want to see Cedar Waxwings again! In my hometown when I was a kid we had them in our mulberry trees :) They are gorgeous birds. When we  get a house if it doesn't have mulberry trees I want to plant some.

Quoting OliviaW.:

I like it too. We're now in a house and our bird baths that the people left we use as bird feeders. The cat is always glued to the windows.

Quoting stargazerwolf:

Quoting OliviaW.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)