Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

what did you do about biting?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 11 Replies
me and my sister live together with our kids that are three months apart. they grew up together but were apart for six months. we have been back here for a couple months and my nephew has been biting my daughter all the time. sometimes it's when shes in his face and he doesn't like it, sometimes it's for seemingly no reason and he just comes over and bites her.. it hap Owens multiple times a day. she's tried time outs, light spankings, one time she bit him back because my mom said she did that but nothing has helped!

any advice? my poor baby has bites all over her =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ashleeduhh
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I'll add that she's 16 months and he's 19 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_heather
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

She needs to be consistent with one form of discipline or else he will get confused. We finally kicked the habit by consisten time outs and any time she was even about to bite we would put her in time out. If she bit us we would over exaggerate how much pain it caused and she would feel bad for making us hurt. Also, we made sure she apologized and gave boo boo kisses every single time she bit someone. It took a while but she hasn't bitten anyone in a long time.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Bite back, not hard. Let them know it hurts. Should take one time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Brianna on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Well I will get bashed for this but I bit back, it took my SS twice for me to do it and my DD once. I never bit hard enough to leave a mark of course. If that doesn't work idk what to do cause I always tried other things before, swatts on the butt, time outs. I think my DD was 2 1/2 when it happened and my SS was 3 and 3 1/2. Maybe just keep doing time outs, telling him to say sorry and telling him how he hurt her feelings and hurt her.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Dont bite him- he's a baby!
If he threw feces would you do that!? Be the grown up. When he bites just say no bite- gentle- and stroke his hand gentle.. Nice...
He does it cause he cant express himself.
Show him what he should do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ashleeduhh
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM
we have tried that. he will go out of his way to bite her when shes not even near him..

she literally had a bruiser on her arm from one of the times today.. I'm just tired of her getting hurt. I know he's a baby but its been months of time outs and explanations and nothing!

I guess I just have to hope time helps

Quoting SamMom912:

Dont bite him- he's a baby!

If he threw feces would you do that!? Be the grown up. When he bites just say no bite- gentle- and stroke his hand gentle.. Nice...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I had a biter. Eventually I did have to bite him back, pretty hard, so he found out how bad it hurt when he did it to others! He never did it again.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 14, 2013 at 3:30 AM

i bit back...and she never bit again!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Is he a talker yet? If no, the i may try giving him words when he is angry. There are some cute board books - i think hands are not for hitting- teeth are not for biting- that your son should b read- look at.
Our kids do well if they can-- not if they want to. Big difference.
Id spend a little time maybe telling stories about frustration; jealousy; sibling rivalry; sharing. Giving words to these feelings and also correct behaviors. When u see him being nice praise him.

Quoting Ashleeduhh: we have tried that. he will go out of his way to bite her when shes not even near him..

she literally had a bruiser on her arm from one of the times today.. I'm just tired of her getting hurt. I know he's a baby but its been months of time outs and explanations and nothing!

I guess I just have to hope time helps

Quoting SamMom912:Dont bite him- he's a baby!
kelliehelvie
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Biting back is stupid. All 3 of my toddlers bite each other and getting bit by someone else has not stopped them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN