Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has an invisible friend

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is 5.5 years old and is an only child. 
She has a friend named "Kirksy" that is a girl and plays with her when her friend isn't over (I am a nanny 3 days a week).

I don't encourage or discourage her talking about Kirksy, but I will listen to her stories about her and what they do.
It has just been in the past few weeks that "Kirksy" has shown up.

She has a neuro disorder called "Complex Motor Stereotypy" and is seen twice a month by her pediatric neurologist who also happens to be a chiropractor.  Is this something I need to bring to the attention of her neurologist? 

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
katye43
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I;m 69 and an only child.  Your child will probably grow up to be someone who is highly creative.  She has a grear imagination...//just love "both of them".  Yes her doctor aught to know.  I was a foster parent for 35 years to over 299 children.  If I couldn't reach them sometimes I would turn my back to them and consult my "friend".  lol.  If they were going to ignore me I just talked to someone      else..lol  Most times it worked.,  Its not unusual for her to have a 'frienf".  She will outgriow it as new friends replace her old friends.  If you are concerned definatley talk to her doctor.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!  Life is too short as it is.have a nice day

Carreon
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Having a imaginary  friend is totally normal and shows intelligence. My daughter had one at that age and at the age of 12 has fond memories of her imaginary friend "Katy" Play along and make it fun.

blondepegasus
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

It's very normal for kids to have imaginary friends. Oftentimes, children's imaginary friends are actually spirits present in your home. Try joining The Haunted Realm here on CM and post a pic of your daughter and of the areas of your home she plays with Kirksy in. The ladies in there will be able to tell you if Kirksy is a ghost your daughter is actually seeing.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Nope.

Invisible friends are perfectly NORMAL for young children - especially creative ones.  Count yourself lucky!  

My granddaughter had a circle of invisible friends...  she also was an only child.  They had interesting names, and did fun things together.  She's six now, and just had a baby brother.  She hasn't seen her friends much lately.  Eventually, she will grow out of them.

Listen to her stories...

But also teach her about real and unreal.  When she watches cartoons, that's unreal. When the news is on tv, that is real.  Reading a story about talking animals is unreal.  Reading a biography is real. Then make sure she knows that her imaginary friends are unreal.  As long as her friends don't tell her to do naughty things,  you're fine.

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Mention it because you are concerned, but most likely they will tell you it is a normal developmental stage for imaginative children.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Without knowing your daughter, I wouldn't say that it was a cause for concern.  I had imaginary friends at that age too.  BUT, you could mention it to her Neuro doc just to find out at what point (if any) should you be concerned

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Good.

It's normal, and prevalent in some temperaments. It means nothing more than that she has a fertile imagination.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It's normal. I had one as a child. I know many children do.

CryMAd
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Awe, how cute!!  My dad had an invisible friend.  "The Man in the Moon" he remembers him like it was yesterday, his mom used to bring cookies and milk out to both of them.  He didn't even realize he was invisible till he was older.  One day the 'man in the moon' said he had to go, and that was it.

I think it's sweet, I would bring it up though, kinda out of her hearing and see what the Dr says.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM

No, it's normal. She has a good active imagination. Unless you hear them talking about anything weird or inappropriate it's fine. One of my sons had a whole other imaginary FAMILY! He said the mom was really nice and never made him have "time-outs" ha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured