Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has an invisible friend

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is 5.5 years old and is an only child. 
She has a friend named "Kirksy" that is a girl and plays with her when her friend isn't over (I am a nanny 3 days a week).

I don't encourage or discourage her talking about Kirksy, but I will listen to her stories about her and what they do.
It has just been in the past few weeks that "Kirksy" has shown up.

She has a neuro disorder called "Complex Motor Stereotypy" and is seen twice a month by her pediatric neurologist who also happens to be a chiropractor.  Is this something I need to bring to the attention of her neurologist? 

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

it's normal.  i think alot of kids have them.  i know my daughter did a few years ago, and i think it has a lot to do witht he fact that she is also an only child.  at the same time tho, i am not familiar with her neuro disorder, so of course i would mention it to the dr, just in case :)

gabrielsmom915
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

does she know she is not real? did something happen about the time she appeared? it could even be something very big to her but not to you a simple change both my kids have their imaginary friends my son know his are not real but my daughter is schitophrenic so it seams to me you should tak to your daughter about her friend if she is just imaginary its just that if not then i would speack to the doctor about her hope that helps good luck

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I asked her why i couldn't see her friend and she said because she was invisible.
I don't know if she understands real or pretend well yet.

Quoting gabrielsmom915:

does she know she is not real? did something happen about the time she appeared? it could even be something very big to her but not to you a simple change both my kids have their imaginary friends my son know his are not real but my daughter is schitophrenic so it seams to me you should tak to your daughter about her friend if she is just imaginary its just that if not then i would speack to the doctor about her hope that helps good luck

caro100
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Wouldn't hurt to tell him, but pretty sure he will tell you it is normal for children her age to have an invisible friend. Don't think it has anything to do with her neuro disorder.
mama2my2boys
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM
post this in the haunted relm with a pic of your daughter....maybe this "friend" is a spirit that she really sees
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucyblue202
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It is actually very common for children around her age to have an imaginary friend. I had an imaginary friend as a child and one day I just stopped talking about it and never brought it up again.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I wouldn't think so but if it makes you more at ease please do so. It can't hurt. I do not think it's uncommon for children to have imaginary friends. I myself have had many unseen feelings and such. Have you ever heard of children and animals to be extra sensitive to the "other" side? It can happen because they are so young and have no preconceptions of what is real or not. Angels are what come to mind.

mama2my2boys
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM
this

Quoting blondepegasus:

It's very normal for kids to have imaginary friends. Oftentimes, children's imaginary friends are actually spirits present in your home. Try joining The Haunted Realm here on CM and post a pic of your daughter and of the areas of your home she plays with Kirksy in. The ladies in there will be able to tell you if Kirksy is a ghost your daughter is actually seeing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I might do that. I don't know how I feel about all that though.

Quoting mamamiajk:

I wouldn't think so but if it makes you more at ease please do so. It can't hurt. I do not think it's uncommon for children to have imaginary friends. I myself have had many unseen feelings and such. Have you ever heard of children and animals to be extra sensitive to the "other" side? It can happen because they are so young and have no preconceptions of what is real or not. Angels are what come to mind.

jaspersmommy3
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
My son is 4 and has one his name is bob, he calls him his pretend friend. I think she is fine, but if you feel it is not the ask.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)