Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has an invisible friend

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is 5.5 years old and is an only child. 
She has a friend named "Kirksy" that is a girl and plays with her when her friend isn't over (I am a nanny 3 days a week).

I don't encourage or discourage her talking about Kirksy, but I will listen to her stories about her and what they do.
It has just been in the past few weeks that "Kirksy" has shown up.

She has a neuro disorder called "Complex Motor Stereotypy" and is seen twice a month by her pediatric neurologist who also happens to be a chiropractor.  Is this something I need to bring to the attention of her neurologist? 

by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I wouldn't worry about it that is a normal part of childhood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Sounds fairly normal however to put your mind at ease it won't hurt to talk with her doctor.
lisabones
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM

My daughter is 4 1/2 and she has had an imaginary friend, Keyona, for a while now. I have no idea where that name came from. She is not an only child, I have a boy who is 3. She talks about her quite often and there are now 2 Keyona's (little Keyona is 1 and big Keyona is 5). 

I have never been concerned or worried about her, I love that both of my kids have such great imaginations. 

I have an older daughter that is 21 and she had 2 imaginary friends when she was young, Tommy and Kaffy (Kathy). 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I would let her doc know about it, but I feel that the invisible friend is a normal process, especially for an only child. I even had an invisible friend, and I had a brother when I was 5. 

I wouldn't freak about the invisible friend, but I would want the doc to know about it, so that there are no surprises.

CafeMom Tickers
coreilly89
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Possibly. Tell them it isn't something you're worried about but bring it up as at's something to keep an eye on. It could be a symptom of something major and they may want to know about it. 

Quoting Mommy2justone:

My daughter is 5.5 years old and is an only child. 
She has a friend named "Kirksy" that is a girl and plays with her when her friend isn't over (I am a nanny 3 days a week).

I don't encourage or discourage her talking about Kirksy, but I will listen to her stories about her and what they do.
It has just been in the past few weeks that "Kirksy" has shown up.

She has a neuro disorder called "Complex Motor Stereotypy" and is seen twice a month by her pediatric neurologist who also happens to be a chiropractor.  Is this something I need to bring to the attention of her neurologist? 

Remy11
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
This is completely normal in child development.
k9l1c5
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

My sister had 2 imaginary friends when she was younger. A boy named Squash and his sister Elizabeth.

rstuart66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

My daughter who is 4 has two imaginary friends.  Noni and Caca, I think it's pretty normal for their age.

Zazayam
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

A lot of kids have those, my oldest did. It never worried me at all. If you're concerned bring it up.

MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM
My 4 yr old sometime she has a "friend " but one day tho I got freaked . I was cleaning her room and DD comes up to me out of no where and says mom my friend likes you. So I asked about her and she said she misses her mommy and she's going to the hospital to visit her. Mom BC she got hurt and my friend got hurt too mom her head is bleeding her,her arm is broke and her moms head is bleeding too. But she want to give you a hug before she goes. I was like wtf??? But yeah that one freaked me out lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN