Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

She did it last time...how do I keep her from doing it this time? (formula eater) Update*

Posted by   + Show Post
My older daughter is going to be 3 in July. She was 14 months old when her baby sister was born. She has a new sibling coming in November.

When her sister was a baby, she would get into the powdered baby formula and eat it. After dumping most of the container on the floor. No matter where I put it. In the kitchen cabinet, in a drawer, hell, even the top shelf in the closet.

She would climb and get it. Every time. There was no putting it up. There was no hiding it from her. The second my back was turned, she had it and was eating it by the scoop.

How do I keep it from happening this time with the new baby? She's just bigger now, and more easily accessible to things.

And before people tell me to breastfeed, I do that as well. I don't produce enough milk to feed full-time. I tried it with my daughters. I breastfed my older daughter until she was 6 weeks old and the doctors told me she was going into failure to thrive because I didn't have enough milk.

***Update
She is a normal child, advanced in speech. She did this the entire year her sister was on formula. At that time, she was 14 months until a couple of months after 2. She had been to a doctor, she's not lacking nutrients. Out may have been because she had just been taken off formula 2 months before her sister came. Most likely just remembered seeing me make bottles for her. I'm trying to help keep it from happening when the new baby comes.

Again to the breastfeeding moms. My daughter was 6 lbs 12 oz at birth. I strictly breastfed for 6 weeks. At her check up, she was under 5 lbs. That is not normal. So I had to switch to formula.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM
This

Quoting Megan11587:

Be consistent when disciplining her.  Teach her that sneaking the formula = consequences.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
She's old enuf to learn better now, but I know that doesn't always mean anything. I have an 8yo with autism. Age and development don't always go hand in hand.
can your DD open a latching canister? if not that would be a simple and easy solution (except for travel, I know)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
askyourmother
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM
My oldest never ate hos baby brothers formula but when I left it out he got it and was throwing scoopfuls of it into the air. He was sitting under my kitchen table just having a ball. As long as it was kept up he didn't try to get into it. Although one time we were in the car and it was in the diaper bag and he got it and dumped it all over the backseat. That one I didn't even think of preventing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Just tell her no touching that can and enforce a consequence.   Does she listen to you normally?  There are some things that should be hands off no matter what.   If you have to, purchase a small locker that can be locked.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM
6 moms liked this

Get a tool box that has a lock and lock it up. We have to do that with our medications because we are foster parents. We use a little key lock and keep the keys with our car keys. 

It would suck to have to unlock it every time you need a new bottle, but if it keeps her from eating it, I would do it.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I would probably tell her that's fine if she wants to be a baby and drink formula, so be it.
Make her a bottle and send her to bed for a nap (because babies take lots of naps) Then when she ask to do something big girls do like watching t.v. or playing outside, Ect I would tell her sorry you wanted to be a baby, not a big girl and babies can't do that. Big girls don't drink/eat formula and know better then to get into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

discipline and child locks. If that doesnt work than I dont believe anyone on here has the means of helping you with your daughter.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

A locked box is all I can think of.

amazzonia
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Breastfeed 

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

i would spank her if she didnt listen after the 1st 3 times, i hate spank, but if i tell them NO more than 3 times they get a pop on their butt. sorry im not much more help. but maybe she wont like it now that she is 3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN