Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What type of summer camp would you send your 3 year old to?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have a few options as to where to send my 3 year old daughter. The preschool that she is currently in runs a summer day camp as well. It is nearby and small and my daughter is already familiar with the surroundings and the other children. However, she will be going back to the same preschool in September. I feel as if her being in the same place all year round may be a bit much, though she really loves it.  On the other hand, I can send her to a much latger camp, where she would have to be on a school bus every day because the other camp is further away. However, she would get a change of scenery for two months and make new friends.  Which do you other moms think would be better for a 3 year old? Thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
For a three year old I would keep her at the preschool that she is currently in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Stick to the preschool one. My dd went to her preschool summer camp. She went 3 days a week 9 to 1.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Katharine on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd go with her preschool. It's familiar to her and she knows the people. At this age I don't know how important meeting new people is compared to building on already established relationships. Also, I wouldn't let my 3 year old ride a bus. I probably wont ever let my kids ride a bus. Of course I'm freaky about busses as I was in a bus accident as a kid. (Not hurt myself but still I'll never forget).
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

For a 3 year old, I say go with the same.  LOL  She loves it, she knows the people, and it isn't a huge break in her routine.

Think of it this way: What benefit will those "new friends" bring her?  If they all live farther away, how likely is she to be able to maintain these friendships?  If she is close to her current friends, do you think she'll be able to maintain that if she isn't with them over the summer?

I can see the change in scenery for an older child, but at her age (and without me knowing her personally) I think sticking to the same is just the thing!

gcstar42
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM

If I had to pick one it would probably be the one at the school she already attends. I would probably not trust my 3 yr old to sit still and stay seated on a bus where she would not be strapped into a carseat. Also at only 3 yrs old I would not worry about them trying so many new things. There will be plenty of time for that once they are a little older, and I think it woud be fine to send them somewhere they are already comfortable at.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I think she's too young to go with the different camp. I'd stick with what she knows. You know that she's comfortable there and loves it. I wouldn't throw a monkey wrench into her works. At 3 they aren't forming life friends. THey are playing with whomever is in their current sphere. 

Chelsey191
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Consistency would be better. I would keep her in the same place year round.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM
This.

I don't plan on bet letting my kids ride the bus.

Quoting Katt709:

I'd go with her preschool. It's familiar to her and she knows the people. At this age I don't know how important meeting new people is compared to building on already established relationships. Also, I wouldn't let my 3 year old ride a bus. I probably wont ever let my kids ride a bus. Of course I'm freaky about busses as I was in a bus accident as a kid. (Not hurt myself but still I'll never forget).

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Consistency is important at this age especially so i would keep her at the place she is familar with.  I personally would not send a child on a bus until minimum age 5 since they are a bit more mature at that age and larger in size.

DaniandTom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

She's 3. She won't see it as "a bit much". Keep her where she is. She also would not see the new place as a "change of scenery" but as a new place that she is taken from just about the time she settles into it and gets really comfortable. Chances are, any friends she makes there won't be in her preschool next year so she will miss them. Staying put gives her the opportunity to further strengthen the relationships she already has in her current setting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN