Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm planning on setting and staying with a schedule which includes waking my 2 & 3 year old up about 2hours earlier then what they usually wake up.
Any advice on how should I wake them???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Replies (11-19):
newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I agree.

Quoting mbc324:

They need to be put to be earlier if woken up earlier so they have had enough sleep to be ready to wake up. If not you will all be miserable because they will be too tired and very crabby. IMO having the whole family on a schedule/routine makes the whole house run better.  I agree with the other moms about how they wake their kids, quietly, gently, silly and loving makes a better day for everyone, they wake up in better moods.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I tell them gently that it is time to get up. :)

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Gently rub their backs and talk to them. When making a time change, do it each day/night in 15 minute intervals until you are on the schedule you want them on.

childofGod995
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

it would depend on what your schedule is going to be. waking them up 2 hours early might be hard on the both of you. you might want to try maybe 30 minutes early depending what things they have to do in the morning. if there are some things they can do at night, then maybe waking them up too early might not be necessay.

Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell Isabelle (3) that it's time to wake up, usually rub her back or leg.  She'll tell me she wants to sleep for a couple more minutes, and if I let her, she'll get right up for me.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Then do it in smaller increments. Start waking them 20-30 minutes earlier, and to bed earlier for the first few days/week, then do another 20-30 minutes.

Quoting YMoM22Girls:

I have time. :) Just wanna start doing a schedule with my family.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Just wake them up... Do you have time... Or is it for work/school?

LADYxGHOST
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

gradually. a 2 hour earlier day can be a shock to little ones. Wake them up 30-60 minutes early for a few days then 60-90 minutes early for a few days then the full two hours. it should take about a week.  When waking them up do so gently but firmly.  At their age, having something fro them to look forward to will help.  With my da waking early was never an issue, for my dd, having a yummy am snack when I woke her and prompting her to follow me to the table and sit and eat it helped. After a few days she would wake up and go to the table to get the snack and after a week or so she would get the snack after she did you morning hygiene. Waking them aburptly by startling them will cause them to wake in a panic.  Another thing I found that helped was having them help make the bed 9me make it and they held the pillow) and they was a visual cue that sleeping time was over.  If my dd crawled back into bed (she was 3) she would have to make the bed all by herself and loose a privedge for the day.  We had sceduled nap/break times for them. Usually a few hours after they woke up (since they where waking up earlier then usuall) then later and later until they would nape 2 times a day fro about 30 min. 11:30 and 3:00 The afternoon one was right after we would come back from either outside play or the park.  If I had to drive places I tried to time it during these times until they where set in their schedule. Letting them nap too close to bedtime made it difficult to get to bed and harder to wake up in the morning. 

If you have a heavy sleeper, like my dd, you could try a multi-step waking procedure. I would knock on her door gently and gradually get louder and louder. My voice would increase with the knocking saying time to wake up, time to wake up. who wants (name of treat, her favorite way lychee)

bbshopbrat
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I wake mine up with tickle bugs and the Good Morning song from Singing in the Rain. I change words here and there to make it fit, but my boys love it. Haven't started with daughter, she's usually up before me.

Just make sure your schedule allows them enough sleep. Kids need more sleep than adults until they're teens (& sometimes even then they still do).
notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

just wake them up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured