Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is about 5 months old now and he seems to be very interested on walking. He always want to stand up on our carpet to the point that he slips down by intention when I'm holding him while I sit on our couch. Since we live on an appartment we do not have much space for the regular jumperoo that sits on the floor instead I'm considering buying the one that hangs on the door. But I'm hesitant it doesn't look safe for me, so I'm thinking maybe get a walker instead but his peditrician said it's not safe eigther, any advice for me mom's?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
Whitney15
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I have read a few different places that walkers are bad for them...from what I read, it messes with their legs. I'm not sure if it's true or not though. My daughter loved her door jumper, but my son didn't. Just depends on the kid I think. 

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Exersaucer all the way!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vamp
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

my kids used walkers and were walking on their own by 13 to 14 months old, of course they were not confied to the walker all the time..they had thier free crawling and cruising time...but they did like the walker...it had lots of stuff...

Doc said it was ok as long as they were no steps or stairs and the children should have out of walker exploring time.

DissieDothe
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

He's 5 mos old ... not a crawler yet. Save your money for now and put him on a blanket on the floor to move around on. Has he started rolling over on his own yet? When he's older the walkers will be safer for him ... and age appropriate.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I have heard that walkers are not safe and also not good for walking.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

This is from Dr. Geller - I found it by googling;

studies have shown that babies who use a walker may actually learn to walk about a month later than those who don't. Walkers allow babies to move around before they are physically ready for it, which can cause unusual movement patterns and delayed muscle control.

Babies learn to walk in part by watching and understanding how their feet and legs move. If a walker has a tray, they can't see what's happening with their lower body and don't get the information they need about their motor development.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against using walkers not only because they can discourage your child from learning to walk on his own, but also because they can be dangerous. Thousands of babies end up in emergency rooms and doctor's offices from falling down stairs or bumping into furniture while in a walker. Walkers can give parents a false impression that their babies are truly mobile and can control their actions. Some parents even leave their babies alone to navigate their way around the home in a walker.

Exersaucers, as well as door jumpers, are much safer alternatives, but none of these options will help your child learn to walk earlier than usual.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

This is from pediastaff.com

While children may enjoy moving around in a walker, this toy can lead to bad habits. Baby walkers encourage a child to lean forward when walking, walk on their toes, and walk with their feet turned inward. As a child sits in a walker, they may be dangling in the seat and not fully supporting their weight through their legs, which can cause damage to ligaments in the hips, knees and ankles. If a child loses his or her balance, they can sit down in the seat, rather than learning to “catch” themselves with their hands. Standing in a walker also discourages the development of independence and safety awareness due to being surrounded by the support of the walker; it allows a child to walk before the other areas of development are also ready. Essentially, extended use of a baby walker can delay independent walking for a child.

freckles91
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I had a doorwat bouncer for my little boy! It was by Lindam. My boy LOVED it ! He got hours of entertainment out of it! It lasted him for months and months until he got too tall for it (he's a tall child!!) 

Aswell as him loving it, I could put him in the doorway in the kitrchen while i worked and did laundry, and that kept him happy, and I knew he was safe! :) It was super handy for  goinmg to peoples houses aswell, as you simply unhook it from the doorframe and put it in the car :) 

We have now handed it down to a friends little girl and she is getting as much enjoyment out of it as we did :)

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM
If you want to promote him to walking just let him stand there. A walker or jumper won't help that. 3 of my children were early walkers. (8, 7 and 6 months,we joke that of we have another one, he/she will come out walking)
Just remember once they start walking, then they start climbing. LOL.

I only used those things if I needed them occupied while I was doing something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

the door one is safe as long as your doors have trim, and i like it when they have a tray in the front. My ds had a walker and just went backwards. and then when he started walking he hated it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured