Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training help

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 19 Replies

I have a three year old little girl that I am about to give up on for potty training. She just turned 3 in janurary. I have been trying to potty train her since she was 2 1/2. I have done treats when she uses the potty, taking her every 15 minutes, the sticker on the chart thing, new princess panties, everything I can think of and still nothing. She will tell me she needs to pee when she wants but not all the time and she acts like she does not know how to know she needs to poo. I take her every 15 to 20 minutes and she will pee and I have her sit there and she does nothing else, she gets up and like 5 minutes later she has pooed. I do not know what to do anymore. Anyone have any ideas I have not already tried. I need help.

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

She should be cleaning up her own messes, not as a punishment but because she made it, she cleans it. (In other words don't scold, just help her find the cleaning things and have her do it. )  This might provide enough motivation, especially if you keep it calm. I don't know if putting her in a dress with no panties (you know what I mean- in private conditions only of course) so she can just plop down on the potty when she feels the urge, if this might help. Good luck!

rrbelgarde
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I am scared she would just poo on my floor then. lol. She loves to wear panties and when she does she will tell me she needs to pee the whole time and do great but she will poo in them. I get so sick of poo panties I just keep her in pull ups. I do not punish her for accidents and I praise when she does potty. I guess I think the biggest problem is not knowing to poo. Is this normal that at this age she does not know how to know she needs to poo?

Maddy12922
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
The whole poo thing is her clearly controlling you. Dont make a big deal about it. Dont pressure her. I never really potty trained my kids they just started going on the big potty when "they" wete ready not when it was convienent for me. My mil is one who says ok you this age im not gonna wash any more diapers time ro potty train. I dont do it like that. She would try to train only to have them regress and start doing it in their pants again thats my sils kids not mine. My kids never wet the beds very rarely had accidents because I waited till they were ready. Its human nature to resist something that is being pushed. Its not going to matter when shes 20with weather she potty trained at 3 or 4. Ive seen 7 yr olds with diapers still on because they were bein pushed.
Maddy12922
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Stop all the fussin. Dont scold dont praise. If she goes poop in her panties help her I think shes too young to clean it herself and its a hygeine thing. She knows when she has to poop. Dont you know when you got to?
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

when you put her on the potty try giving her a book to look at or you could read one to her. This will take her mind off things so hopefully she can relax and go

Jackiesmomma13
by Carolyn on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I agree. She just might need to relax n realize its ok too poo after peein.

Quoting mamamiajk:

when you put her on the potty try giving her a book to look at or you could read one to her. This will take her mind off things so hopefully she can relax and go

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lnr187
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM

we let ss run around naked for 3 days. everytime he started to poop or pee, we ran him to the potty. he was awarded with 3 M&Ms for peeing, and 3 M&Ms and a sticker to show off for the rest of the day if he pooped. he got it pretty quickly. we're in the car a lot, so that part took awhile. but i'd get him dressed in underwear. put a diaper under them just for the car ride, and take it off when we got to where we were going. it was a hassle, but worth it.

that being said, some kids just aren't ready at the same age. i will happen, just takes time. good luck :)

Mommytoaangel
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM
She will go when she is ready let her go bare butt in the house an give her a book dont push it will happen on her time my god son was like this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflykiss5
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Hello, I had an experience somewhat like yours with my daughter. When she started potty training I took her to the store to pick out "big girl undies". When we got home I let her put them on and I explained to her that we don't want to get those dirty. When she would have an accident I would tell her that we will have to throw them in the garbage if she continues getting them dirty. That lasted only a few more times and finally she realized that she liked her undies and wanted to keep them. I am not sure if that was the best way to go about it but, it made her think twice about going in her undies. I also rewarded her for everytime she went in the potty chair. I hope that helps! Good Luck

elkmomma
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

A lot of little ones go through this.  They (many cases) simply need to learn to recognize the hints the body gives.  It may not be connecting with her yet.  It sounds like you're doing things right, so keep at it.  We used Daddy's old t-shirts and no undies during this stage with DS, it worked for us and yes I had to clean his droppings every now an then.  Ds would get so upset and cry if he accidentally messed up Daddy's shirt so it didn't take long for him to recognize his body's hints.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured