Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advise on potty training

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 10 Replies
My son is two, he knows what the potty is, and what ur supposed to do. But when I put him on there its always to late! Then he just wants to sit there on his potty all day! What do I do? Do I take him off of it and let him have a fit?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him sit there if he wants to. It can't hurt, and he may get the idea. If you praise (mildly) when he has "results" it will let him know what it is actually for. :)

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I would let him sit there and get used to it.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM
3 moms liked this

You should wait until he is 2 1/2 or 3.  Right now, he is too young to really understand.  This is just a game.  The potty is something new and he will lose interest in it.  Put it away.

Most children, boys especially, are not really ready to train until age three.  Here are some "readiness" signs to look for.

1) child wakes up dry from naps and in the mornings

2) child can pull up his own pants, pull down his own pants, do his own zipper or button or whatever is on his pants.

3) child has the verbal skills to TELL you "I have to go potty" or what ever words you plan to use in your family.

Waking up dry in the morning means that your son has bladder control.  Being able to tell you that he has to go, means that he understands what his body is telling HIM.  And being able to do his own pants, means he won't have an accident while waiting for YOU to help him.  Wait, and when he is ready, potty training should only take a day or two.  When you try to train a child who is too young, it takes six months.

marisab
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM
my daughter has all the readiness and goes on the potty about 50 % of time but when she is out and gets playimngh she has accidembts need advice
Quoting LoreleiSieja:

You should wait until he is 2 1/2 or 3.  Right now, he is too young to really understand.  This is just a game.  The potty is something new and he will lose interest in it.  Put it away.

Most children, boys especially, are not really ready to train until age three.  Here are some "readiness" signs to look for.

2) child can pull up his own pants, pull down his own pants, do his own zipper or button or whatever is on his pants.

3) child has the verbal skills to TELL you "I have to go potty" or what ever words you plan to use in your family.

Waking up dry in the morning means that your son has bladder control.  Being able to tell you that he has to go, means that he understands what his body is telling HIM.  And being able to do his own pants, means he won't have an accident while waiting for YOU to help him.  Wait, and when he is ready, potty training should only take a day or two.  When you try to train a child who is too young, it takes six months.

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Knowing what it's for does not give him the ability to know far enough in advance that he needs to go, be able to hold it, communicate clearly that need, or 'let go' at the right moment.

Let him sit on it if he's happy there, it doesn't matter. It's not going to 'teach' him anything useful to limit it (or enforce it).

kali_mom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I like to put my children on the potty as SOON as they wake up. Usually I would almost always have success and praise them for going potty. You may to really start tracking when he has a wet diaper and try to gauge when to put him back on the potty. It's time consuming but if you stick with it you will have success
blucandie
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM

How old is she? I thought my DD would do this more than she has, but I think what really helped her was an episode of "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood". On this one particular episode they talk about going potty & he says (& sings) "If you have to go potty, STOP & go right away..." She sings it or if I see she needs to go but she's not wanting to stop what she is doing, I ask her "what does Daniel Tiger say?" & she says it & gets up & goes to the bathroom. It helps to remind them that they can come right back to what they were doing after they go potty. Hope this helps! :)

Quoting marisab:

my daughter has all the readiness and goes on the potty about 50 % of time but when she is out and gets playimngh she has accidembts need advice
Quoting LoreleiSieja:

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM

This is normal for preschoolers.  They are so happy playing that they chose to ignore the signs that they have to go potty until it's too late.  For younger preschoolers, I would recommend that you call a "potty break" about an hour into the play, and every 90 minutes after that.  I wouldn't discipline her for accidents, but try to provide enough potty breaks that she doesn't have accidents.

Quoting marisab:

Quoting LoreleiSieja:

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

armyvet06
by Ashley on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I have my daughter sit there until she goes. Then after, she gets to put a sticker on her chart that we have hanging on the bathroom door.
CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'd say relax. My 20mo is completely potty trained for BMs and about 80% potty trained for pee. I got a potty for her on her bday and just let her play at sitting on it. When she wants to go sit on the potty, I sit on a stool next to her and we read one of her board books. I let her run around the house with a bare bottom, and she does very well - at home. When we put a pullup on her to go places, she'll not make it to the bathroom in time and can't stand having on wet britches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured