Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Everyone is telling me to bite her back!

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 54 Replies

So DD got mad at me Monday night because I was trying to get her off our office chair (spins and moves super easy so not safe for a 2 year old) and she finally moved to the back part of the chair so I sat towards the front in hopes she'd get the hint. Well she came from behind and bit my arm. Hurt like hell! Broke the skin and I was wearing a thick hoodie and long sleeves. I put her down on the floor (made her cry) and took away one of her favorite toys, a big stuffed Mickey.

A day or 2 later I tell some relatives to make sure I did everything right as far as my wound goes, and they all say I should've bit her back! Obviously not as hard as she did, but enough to hurt a little. So did I do the right thing? Anything else I should've done differently?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

If that worked, you did the right thing.

I bit mine back as a last resort, we went through weeks or months of biting and NOTHING was working. Bit them each once and never had another issue. Obviously not hard, just enough to show them why it's not ok.

Aqua_Jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never bite my child back. I think taking away her toy was appropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

My son bit me once. I bit him back and that was the end of it and he has never bitten anyone since. But if what you did worked then you did the right thing.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Only bite back if they are biting all the time. If this was only once just discipline.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdiemom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't see the logic in that.
How do you teach your child that biting is wrong, by biting them??? SMH
I'm sure your time out on the floor and loss of privilege will work as long as you are consistent
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I bit mine back and it worked. But that was after weeks of hard bites that no other discipline helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM
4 moms liked this

dear lord... Im glad your the grown up. Your dd bit you because she didnt think of another way to handle her frustration. Im not saying its right. Im saying shes 2.
Please ----dont bite her. You're not  the 2 year old, she is! If she spit at you, would you spit back? No! You remain calm, you treat her with respect and concern. You tell her "No biting, we dont bite." You explain your removing her from that the chair because "it is not safe for her. You dont want her hurt. You love her". You can acknowledge her feelings... (a little lesson in empathy never hurts) I can see your mad. I know, its hard when we cant do things we want to because they are not safe. and move her to a fun activity. 
I hope these people dont tell you to hit her too... and then when she hits you back.. dont be surprised.
We need to remember we are teaching our children... teaching with love and compassion.
hugs momma... hope your bite mark heals ok..

som610
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

My 2 youngest are 15 months apart. My DD is older. She used to bite her baby brother when she was 2. After a couple months of her doing it I bit her back and she didn't do it again.

Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
3 moms liked this
Biting a child back is total Neanderthal parenting at its best...

Personally, no, I wouldn't do that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry I couldn't get past the fact that instead of removing your child from the chair you sat in a way to crowd a 2 yr old so they could GET THE HINT??  You TRIED? to get her off.  IMHO there is the issue.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)