Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Binky Addict

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 23 Replies

My baby is a binky addict! He is not happy unless it's in his mouth. I try to leave it out as long as I can, but that lasts about 10 minutes. He LOVES it! He's 5 months. Is it okay for me to let him have it all day? I don't let him sleep with it because he wakes up every time it falls out, he gets a lot more rest without it. But he really loves having it all day. I just want to know someone relates and can give me pointers. Like when was your baby done with the binky? Will it be super hard to take away? Thanks!

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM
5 months allow it. He needs to suck. I would cold turkey take I away around a year. I say this because I have been there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes it is ok for him to have it at this age.  Pacifiers have shown to help reduce SIDS.  It is not an addiction.   I would start weaning him off about a year old but at oldest 2 yrs old.  Some children have a strong sucking impulse and it is their preferred method of self soothing.

neslonturf
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Eeeesh! He's a baby. He's fine. I just took my kid's binky away...on his 4th birthday. *shrug*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
You're fine. Around a year you can take it away.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM

It's fine for him to have it now. If you bottle feed, I'd use the binky until about 16-18 months. It is easier to bottle break them at a year old if they still have the binky. 

When you are ready to break him from the binky, just do it quicky, there is no weening off of it, lol. 

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My kid's never liked them, bump!

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Um, I would let him have it yes.  My son had his till he was 3, granted once he was 12 months he only got it at naps and bed times.  Unless he had treatments at the hosptial.  But your son is only 5 months old, let him have it

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

be grateful he's a binky addict and not a thumb-sucker!  It is much easier to break the binky than the thumb... you can throw away the binky!  

But at 5 mos, there is nothing wrong with letting him have the binky!  And very soon, he'll learn to pick it up and put it back in his mouth by himself, so it won't keep him awake at nights.  Also - did you know -that pacifiers are actually RECOMMENDED for the first year?  There is some research suggesting that babies who take a pacifier are less likely to develop SIDS?  

I'd let him have the pacifier for a year or so, and any time day or night he wants it.  Eventually, you'll need to wean him away from it, but it's not has hard as you might think.  Some parents just throw it away at the baby's first birthday.  Then for about three days baby cries a lot but then it's over.  Other parents wait until the child is about two, and there are multiple techniques for breaking the habit then.

katye43
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

My first born was so disgustingly normal.  He gave up his pacifier at a year old.  My second son and I fought over it until one day it was just "lost".  He was 3.  My daughter threw the pacifier out of the crib at 3 weeks and stuck her thumb in until she was 7 y/o,  Try throwing that away.,..lol.  She didn't suck on her thrumb, she just liked it there.  Go figure.  I finally bribed her with a dog.  That worked but I thinnk she snuck in a few free shots behind my back..lol.  Every child is different but definatley leave him alone at 5 mos.  You sanity is at stake here.   Good luck.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!  Life is too short as it is.have a nice day

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Start keeping it out longer and longer and finding other ways to soothe him or entertain him during those periods. A weaning of sorts. 
They are almost needed until about 6 months. That's not to say they actually NEED them! But the sucking is soothing. Once any colicky stage is gone it really is best to wean them away-otherwise you may well end up with it at an age when it's REALLY not apporpriate. Even if you get to where you only have it at night up to a year that's a HUGE help from having it all day long!

Offer him teething rings and things to chew-he may be starting to get sore gums and teething and that's another reason babies like the binky. They can work it around to massage the gum.

It's going to be a bit of a headache for you but, not doing it will be a HUGE headache later when you are trying to get it away from a seriously attached child.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured