Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son has never been to nursery school or daycare. Think he'll be OK in kinder?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 24 Replies

My son is 4 and will start school next September. He's a December baby, so he'll be almost 6 at the start of Kindergarten; my daughter was too. 

My daughter was in daycare off and on since she was 6 weeks, but my son has never been to daycare or anything. 

So for moms whose children never been to any sort of school prior to kindergarten, how did your children do? 

We'll get the routine down once the time gets closer, but right now I'm thinking how he'll feel once it's time to get on the bus. He tells me he wants to go to school, and that he's not afraid to get on the bus. I'm hoping that's a good sign. 

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lillysmommy0113
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

i don't know if this is true or not, but i read some where that kids do better in school if they never been to a daycare or nursery school. good luck!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest a summer camp or day camp for him to test the waters of independence.  My dd did fine for the academic part of kindergarten but since she was never in a formal preschool setting she had more trouble with the social part and being part of a large group.

Trixi.VonLace
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
None of my kids went to a day care or anything like that and they all did great :) all four are little social butterflies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Idk. My dd has never been either and she has been begging to go to school for over a year now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LADYxGHOST
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Me and my brother never went to daycare or pre-school. It seemed a tougher adjustment looking back for my brothers to get used to kinder then other kids that had been in pre-school. But it took maybe a week for them to get used to. When I took them to kinder vs my dd (they are actually younger then my children) the only difference really was not knowing criss-cross applesause and raising their hand to speak (which even kinders who knew often forgot so not a biggie) There where some issues with asking to leave the classroom during the first week but overall after the first month, you couldn't tell.  They had routines down and eager to go.  I had to work with them regarding the items covered npw adays in pre-k, colors, number, writing your name, reading your name. For the younger of the two it was more difficult an adjustment but he had atachment disorder so it wasn't a lack of pre-k thing. I saw no overall difference between how they adjusted and how my children adjusted. My kids went to daycare and preschool. The only thing I had wished I had worked on was asking to use the restroom rather then just getting up and going.  When my brother had to go, he just wrent. Gave the teacher a scare when she heard the door shut and didn't know who left and did a count and was missing a kid. She couldn't leave to check so she had to call the office to look for him and of course the last place they looked was the restroom. But by the end of the first month he got it, raise hand, ask and then go. I did better with the youngest. When it was "lesson time" he would have to raise his hand to anser the questions and use the restroom.  he did better with it but had more anxiety not being with me.  But going to preschool wouldn't have helped becasue it was abuse related and preschool can not prevent a mom from abusing her kids. Fortunatly there are organizations that can.

Karen_S
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Has he taken any sports or classes where he has to listen to an adult who isn't you or a family member or family friend? Does he have any experience with a group of kids where he has to take turns, wait in line, sit in a circle quietly, not interrupt other kids...thing like that?  Has he been away from you for 6+ hours at least a handful of times? If not, you might think about finding a play group or a class for him to take before kinder, and have some trial days where he goes to a friend or relative's house for a whole day .

Karen_S
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Not true.  There is have been a lot of studies recently on the benefits of Preschool.  The bottom line is that kids can be well prepared for kinder with or without preschool.  What matters is the quality of the experience.  Kids who would have sat around in front of a TV are far better off in preschool.  Kids who have a motivated parent that reads to them, talks with them, gives them social experiences, helps them learn abput the world around them, etc. do just fine without preschool, and are better off at home than in a poor quality preschool.  

Quoting Lillysmommy0113:

i don't know if this is true or not, but i read some where that kids do better in school if they never been to a daycare or nursery school. good luck!

Lillysmommy0113
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

ok, i just read it some where. like i said i didnt know if it was true or not.

Quoting Karen_S:

Not true.  There is have been a lot of studies recently on the benefits of Preschool.  The bottom line is that kids can be well prepared for kinder with or without preschool.  What matters is the quality of the experience.  Kids who would have sat around in front of a TV are far better off in preschool.  Kids who have a motivated parent that reads to them, talks with them, gives them social experiences, helps them learn abput the world around them, etc. do just fine without preschool, and are better off at home than in a poor quality preschool.  

Quoting Lillysmommy0113:

1hotmama87
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

My son never went to daycare or preschool or anything and aside from crying the first few weeks of kindergarten he does great in school now.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

None of my kids every attended daycare or preschool and all of them have done just find in their transitioning to kindergarten.  If you have taught your child how to listen, follow directions, be resepctful and look someone in the eye when talking with them everything should be just fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured