Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanting to start over with nothing...

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hey other moms out there! I am in desperate need of some advice and help. I am a married momma of a 3 year old son. I'm not up on all the shorthand on here, so bear with me. My husband and I got married 1 week ago today and are not having a great go at things here in our current town. We are extremely happy together, the problem is not us or our life, its our surroundings. We moved here 10 months ago from the suburbs of Pittsburgh no be closer to our friends and family. But after 10 months of being closer, we have seen them even less than before. We are burned out of this miserable town, lack of jobs and decent pay, and are looking to start over further south. We have started trying to find a job with some relocation assistance in the area we are looking at moving to, but we live paycheck to paycheck, like many young couples with a young child. Other than our car, we own really nothing worth anything and have zero savings. All we want is to move out of this town as soon as our lease is up at the end of June or sooner, but with no prospects of making some money fast other than downsizing our car, we are so discouraged and stuck. Any moms out there with some advice (other than cut the expenses portion of the lecture, because I promise you we have no luxeries, no cable/home phone, cheapest cell phone plan possible, some public assistance and couponing), moms who would be willing to help us out or having anything positive to offer please do so! I'm not one for "begging", or hanging our dirty laundry out to dry, but I am banging my head against our broke walls! Help!

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JJsmommie2012
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Have you talked to your local churches or non for profit orginzations?  Did you check to make sure you are getting all the assistance you can get?  What about 2nd jobs to save money?  Good luck!  If I have anymore ideas I will send them your way!

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM

As someone who once made a blind move across the country herself, I can tell you this: If you have the guts and the gumption to try, you can succeed.

Will you be getting your security deposit back? If so, you can use that.

You have 10 weeks until the end of June. If you can manage to scrounge up $10 a week until then, you'll have some gas money.

Does your current state have bottle deposits? If so, you can scout for empties. If there's a nearby college, saturday & sunday mornings can be fairly lucrative. (Most student-occupied houses will be glad they don't have to clean the yard.)

Can you pick up any kind of odd jobs, like babysitting or petsitting? Can your husband do any kind of handywork?

Are you opposed to selling plasma? My first husband used to do that when we were down to the wire for rent.

I don't know if any of this helps at all, but I wish you luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured