Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Those who've moved away from family...how hard/easy was it?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband and I have been married for 18 years and 43 years old. We have 2 kids, both adopted, who are 8 1/2 (ds) and 5 (dd). I have lived in this county since I started 1st grade, so that's 37(?) years. I didn't even move off to college because there is one within a 15 minute drive from here. My parents are a 25 minute drive away and his are a 20 minute drive away. 

We will be moving in the middle of June to a city that's around 5 hours from here. I'm excited but nervous too. I guess I'm just being sentimental just thinking about the kids not seeing the grandparents as much. Other than this, I'm truly excited! 

For those of you who've moved far away, is there any suggestions on making an easy transition for the whole family? Looking back, is there anything you wished you had done, didn't do, or whatever?

Thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
soliderwife
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I guess i was always use to living away from family was never that close..  I would when kids were little take the back fora few days to visit..  I cant think of any thing i would ve changed..

Best of luck to u

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM

We did it and have been much better off, lol.  Once you find a reliable babysitter, you're golden.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
It was the best thing ever in my case. My family is physco. Dh was sad tho because he gets along with his. They visit often. We moved 1000 miles away the first time. Now we are about 6hrs away and we see his parents kinda often
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I've moved away from family twice and it was very easy for me but then again I don't like my family very much at all.  lol

MonkeysGrammy
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I was born and raised in Ny. I married when I was 16 because my husband joined the serive and got shipped to Germany. I was heartbroken to leave my family, but I knew it was temporary. Now we moved to Fl about 5yrs ago. His parents are here (which we cannot stand) and my whole family is still in Ny and I miss them so very much. If it were me I would move back tomorrow, however we have 3 sons (21, 19 & 15). Our oldest son has a 3yr old daughter (my world!!) and a son due to be born on May2. I could never leave now. My boys all have their own lives and I could never disrupt that again. My mom comes to visit often, but she is the only one we really see since we do not have the money to travel back ourselves. The one thing I am so glad we did was make a photo book for each of our boys with each family member before we left. And thank god there's Skype!! But my husband is the one I wanted to spend my life with & now 23yrs later we are still the best of friends and act like we just got married! I miss my family, but I would rather see my kids doing better then we were up north and I lay down to sleep looking at the man I adore. So I guess yes, it was worth it!!

My World...My Life...My Boyz..

Bonez 8/3/91           Big Bear 4/13/94       Stinky 9/26/97giving dad card                bear with heart             ninja         (MonkeysDaddy)

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I moved states away, and coming from a very close knit family who all lived nearby, I thought it'd be unbearably difficult. It actually wasn't though. It made dh and I depend on each other more because we were suddenly all we had (with the exception of our kids), and our relationship grew even stronger because of this. I missed my family, but when we did visit it made that time more precious and memorable.

Although it'll be a big adjustment at 1st, 5 hrs really isn't that far, and you'll still be able to visit often. Let the kids call, Skype & write to the family often. When they're feeling homesick ask them what neat, nearby things they'd want to show the grandparents, etc when they come visit. That'll make them focus on the neat things in their new town. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I moved 2 states away for awhile in college. I'm not close to my family and didnt have kids yet, so it was fine. Now that we are married with kiddos, we live close to his family and 2 hours from mine. we are happy here, but if we had to move away, i imagine itd be okay.

nanasue31204
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I moved 1200 miles away so my kids could be in safe town, go to good schools and get away from a very dangerous and toxic member of my dads family. I hate being away from my parents but my kids are safe and happy and we get together as often as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)