Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

loan agent ?'s

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 4 Replies
My husband and i are discussing buying a home in the next 12 months or so. We'd like to start working with someone so we can spend that time preparing, improving our credit, etc... Would we need to see a loan agent, do they do that kind of thing?

Also, we're looking 1-2 hours away from where we are now... Will a local agent still be able to help us?

TIA!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

To improve your credit, get a credit card.  Two lines of open, good credit is all you really need.  Then you want that to go for a year.  Then you apply to be pre-approved and you'll find a loan officer.  Once you're pre-approved, look online or where you want to live for houses.  When you find a house, call the listing agent for that house and he or she will be able to get you in to see other houses.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Yea, we have a couple credit cards that we've had for a couple years... We really just want to see what our credit looks like now and what we can be approved for, and if there's anything we can do to improve it and get a better rate.

For agent, i meant loan agent. I know we'll need a real estate.agent based in that area, but i wasn't sure if a loan agent would matter.

Quoting jillbailey26:

To improve your credit, get a credit card.  Two lines of open, good credit is all you really need.  Then you want that to go for a year.  Then you apply to be pre-approved and you'll find a loan officer.  Once you're pre-approved, look online or where you want to live for houses.  When you find a house, call the listing agent for that house and he or she will be able to get you in to see other houses.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Not really.  The rates fluctuate.  If you have good lines of credit now, I'd start the process if you can.  The rates are only going to get higher from here.  So whoever you choose for your lenders is up to you.  They can pull your credit and let you know what kind of shape you're in.  Make sure you get a copy of the credit report in case you decide to use a different lender.  Then you just give them the copy.  You don't want a bunch of people checking your credit.  :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Yea, we have a couple credit cards that we've had for a couple years... We really just want to see what our credit looks like now and what we can be approved for, and if there's anything we can do to improve it and get a better rate.

For agent, i meant loan agent. I know we'll need a real estate.agent based in that area, but i wasn't sure if a loan agent would matter.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

GOBryan
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I'm a Realtor. I would suggest you pick someone local and yes, a loan originator/consultant would be the person to go to so that they can tell you how long it will take you to be approved for a loan and what you need to clear up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)