Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby with a cold (update)

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

My 4 month old little girl got a cold from daycare last week and we've been to the pediatrician twice because she also got a virus on top of that cold. We've been using a warm mist humidifier at night and giving her Tylenol occasionally for her fever. I'm pretty sure she has a sore throat because sometimes she's cries after coughing and her voice is raspy. Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable? My poor baby just seems so miserable.

UPDATE: Over the weekend she developed an ear infection in both ears and some conjuntivitis in both eyes. I used breastmilk and saw a huge difference in her eyes within a coupld of hours. Her ears are also improving and she's not pulling on them as much. Still took her to the peditrician because her fever spiked at 100.7 last night. Found out that she has a touch of asthma like her mommy and we now have to put her on a nebulizer for a few days to help her out. She showed much improvement after the first use. Can't wait for me poor little girl to feel better.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilMansMom105
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS's pedi reccommends a COOL-mist humidifier. Thats what we use, and it worked better when he had a cold. Cold air breaks up congestion & clears nasal passages better. It also doesnt come with the risk of overheating (especially in a baby already hot from fever) that warm air does. Elevating head of bed helps drainage of secretions so they dont pool in the throat. We also used Vicks for Baby rub on his chest and neck and frequent nasal rinsing with saline spray. Hope all is well with you soon! Oh, and Booger Wipes (yes, thats what theyre called lol) are amazing!!!

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM
This

Quoting LilMansMom105:

My DS's pedi reccommends a COOL-mist humidifier. Thats what we use, and it worked better when he had a cold. Cold air breaks up congestion & clears nasal passages better. It also doesnt come with the risk of overheating (especially in a baby already hot from fever) that warm air does. Elevating head of bed helps drainage of secretions so they dont pool in the throat. We also used Vicks for Baby rub on his chest and neck and frequent nasal rinsing with saline spray. Hope all is well with you soon! Oh, and Booger Wipes (yes, thats what theyre called lol) are amazing!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MinglingMom
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Alright thanks. I've been using saline drops and I'll look into the boogie whipes. The only thing we can't do is elevate her head in her crib because she turns herself upside down.

Quoting LilMansMom105:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emily123456
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Cool mist humidifier and a lil Vick vapor rub on her feet and put socks just don't put more than a pea size on her because she is small
Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Is she breastfed? You can squirt a lil milk up her nose if she's stuffy or make a milk-pop for her in a mesh feeder that would probably feel great on a sore throat.

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

A cold is a virus...

Make sure she's getting enough rest and fluids, including keeping her close to your body (your body will help her regulate her body temperature, and improve her immune function).

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I hope she feels better soon!

MinglingMom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I know, but she had an additional virus on top of the cold that was making her sick and not able to keep food down. The reason I took her to the pediatrician the first time is because I was worried about dehydration because she was only having 4 wet diapers a day and they were not very wet; it was due to her lack of eating of course. We had to give her pedialite in between meals to help with hydration.

Quoting LindaClement:

A cold is a virus...

Make sure she's getting enough rest and fluids, including keeping her close to your body (your body will help her regulate her body temperature, and improve her immune function).

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Good, I hope she feels better soon! :)

PinkParadox
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting Emily123456:

Cool mist humidifier and a lil Vick vapor rub on her feet and put socks just don't put more than a pea size on her because she is small
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured