Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby with a cold (update)

Posted by   + Show Post

My 4 month old little girl got a cold from daycare last week and we've been to the pediatrician twice because she also got a virus on top of that cold. We've been using a warm mist humidifier at night and giving her Tylenol occasionally for her fever. I'm pretty sure she has a sore throat because sometimes she's cries after coughing and her voice is raspy. Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable? My poor baby just seems so miserable.

UPDATE: Over the weekend she developed an ear infection in both ears and some conjuntivitis in both eyes. I used breastmilk and saw a huge difference in her eyes within a coupld of hours. Her ears are also improving and she's not pulling on them as much. Still took her to the peditrician because her fever spiked at 100.7 last night. Found out that she has a touch of asthma like her mommy and we now have to put her on a nebulizer for a few days to help her out. She showed much improvement after the first use. Can't wait for me poor little girl to feel better.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-17):
LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Oh, a stomach bug! I get it :D

Pedialyte is better known, in neonate nutrition circles, as 'flat baby pop.'

It's a very, very expensive high-sugar, non-nutriative product that pharmacutical companies make a LOT of money from, often with big perks for doctors who recommend it.

The best solution for babies is breastmilk, followed by plain (unsweetened, unsalted) water. In the case of devastating dehydration (from any cause) the best solution is IV fluids, followed at a distant secon by salted sugar syrup --which is very easily made at home. 

That is: if she was not so dehydrated that she needed IV support, plain water would have been a better choice than Pedialyte.

Quoting MinglingMom:

I know, but she had an additional virus on top of the cold that was making her sick and not able to keep food down. The reason I took her to the pediatrician the first time is because I was worried about dehydration because she was only having 4 wet diapers a day and they were not very wet; it was due to her lack of eating of course. We had to give her pedialite in between meals to help with hydration.

Quoting LindaClement:

A cold is a virus...

Make sure she's getting enough rest and fluids, including keeping her close to your body (your body will help her regulate her body temperature, and improve her immune function).

kali_mom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Glad she's feeling better. I would encourage you to stick with the breast milk. I use garlic oil when my children who have had an occasional ear ache.
BrittSam2011
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Poor baby. My little guy is almost 5 months now and 2 months ago he got a really bad fever and wouldn't stop Coughing and throwing up. Turns out he had a virus, too. Had to be put on steroids for 5 days to help his cough. He slept in my arms every night just so I could make sure he wasn't going to asphyxiate on his vomit while I was sleeping. He's ok now, thank goodness. Your little girl will get through this. Praying for her.

marisab
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM
praying she is bettter soon
SandyLaxner
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

It's a very, very expensive high-sugar, non-nutriative product that pharmacutical companies make a LOT of money from, often with big perks for doctors who recommend it.

The best solution for babies is breastmilk, followed by plain (unsweetened, unsalted) water. In the case of devastating dehydration (from any cause) the best solution is IV fluids, followed at a distant secon by salted sugar syrup --which is very easily made at home. 

That is: if she was not so dehydrated that she needed IV support, plain water would have been a better choice than Pedialyte.

Quoting MinglingMom:

I know, but she had an additional virus on top of the cold that was making her sick and not able to keep food down. The reason I took her to the pediatrician the first time is because I was worried about dehydration because she was only having 4 wet diapers a day and they were not very wet; it was due to her lack of eating of course. We had to give her pedialite in between meals to help with hydration.

Quoting LindaClement:

A cold is a virus...

Make sure she's getting enough rest and fluids, including keeping her close to your body (your body will help her regulate her body temperature, and improve her immune function).

have things changed?   6yo DS,at thattime baby did not need water.  Only formula/breast milk.  Pedialyte also has electrolytes that replace what the child loses w/diarrhea/vomiting.  I would not use that unless Dr says so though.

zboys
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I hope she feels better soon.  Give her a hug from all of us.  : )

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM

The same electrolytes are in breastmilk. Formula is a problem for barfing kids because of the cow's milk base, which doesn't settle stomachs well, so plain water is more helpful...

The same electrolytes are in oranges, bananas, apples, strawberries, and 3/4 of the fruits and vegetables on the planet.

Electrolytes sound big and important, but all they are is sodium and potassium. Mostly, unless someone is extremely dehydrated (IV necessary) they're much more a selling point than a healthcare issue.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting MinglingMom:

Quoting LindaClement:

A cold is a virus...

have things changed?   6yo DS,at thattime baby did not need water.  Only formula/breast milk.  Pedialyte also has electrolytes that replace what the child loses w/diarrhea/vomiting.  I would not use that unless Dr says so though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured