Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you breast feed one baby longer than the other?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 27 Replies

I am new to CafeMom. You all are an interesting bunch. I have a question but here is a little background first:

I breast fed our older daughter (now 11yo) for 18 months. We waited 10 years, graduated college, got married, got some life experience, and well paying careers before having our second daughter (now 17 months old). Our 11yo is super attached to me and has been since birth. Our 17 month old likes me but isn't super attached like the 11yo. That's okay with me...I like independent people/kids.

Here is my question: Did you breast feed one child significantly longer than the other? If so, was the child who was breast fed longer more attached to you?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids self wean, so they both did so at different times.

I am very close with both of them, but I don't think their length of bfing impacted their level of attachment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I have breastfed my kids longer with each one. The attachment seems more based on their personality than how long they breastfed.
DaWife806
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

That's what I was wondering. Our youngest isn't a "cuddler" and our oldest loves to cuddle. I always wondered if it had something to do with breast feeding. When the baby doesn't want to cuddle I find myself saying "I should have breast fed you longer" although there is no proof that's why she doesn't like to cuddle. I was curious about what other mom's have experienced. Your experience is different than mine which busts my theory. LOL. Thank you for replying. :)

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM
My 1st I bf for 18 months and my 2nd self weaned at 10 months. My 2nd is actually closer to me. I think it depends more on the child's personality than the bond of nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wulfeyes05
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Number one breast fed 4 months, number two breast fed 6 months. I would say they are equally attached. They both have independent personalities, but they do love spending time with mom.

DaWife806
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Awesome! I'm glad to see it's just a difference in children's personalities more than a breast feeding issue. I know every child is different but I can't help but wonder if the breast feeding caused a difference in attachment.

shortyali
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM
My oldest (DS1 = 5 years old) I nursed for 7 weeks and he's mister independent. My next baby (DD = 2.5 years old) I nursed for 22 months and she's the princess. I'm currently nursing DS2 who's only 5 months and he's a mommas boy (I think it's more todo with his age tho), I can't leave his sight without him crying unless DH is around. I don't think their personalities have to do with how long they nursed because DS1 was pretty independent from the get go. He didn't like to be held a lot and preferred to sleep in his own space.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We just follow their personalities.  First child self weaned around 14 months.  2nd child is 4 months and I am not sure when he will be done.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

JCB911
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

My first I breastfed to 14 months (self-weaned).  The second one until 12 months - probably could have stopped at 10 months as she seemed to have lost interest at around that point.  My second was very active and was never cuddly, she ate and would want to get down right away (she also crawled at 4 months and 3 weeks). 

I'd say now that they are 5 and 3, they are equally attached for their age. 

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I breastfed my first (12y/o) until 6 months, my second (almost 9y/o) until 9 months, and I'm hoping to let my third self wean. I don't know if there's enough of a difference between 6 and 9 months, but so far baby #3 is by far the most attached I've had.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured