Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Did you breast feed one baby longer than the other?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am new to CafeMom. You all are an interesting bunch. I have a question but here is a little background first:

I breast fed our older daughter (now 11yo) for 18 months. We waited 10 years, graduated college, got married, got some life experience, and well paying careers before having our second daughter (now 17 months old). Our 11yo is super attached to me and has been since birth. Our 17 month old likes me but isn't super attached like the 11yo. That's okay with me...I like independent people/kids.

Here is my question: Did you breast feed one child significantly longer than the other? If so, was the child who was breast fed longer more attached to you?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Replies (21-27):
december911
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I did breastfeed the first longer, and we had a stronger bond it seemed. The second DD was more independent, and I was working and going to school so DH was with her more. We weren't as close in the beginning, but by about a year and a half, we were as inseparable as me and my oldest DD still are. So I don't think the BF'ing helped or hurt the bonding. just different personalities.

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I breastfed my dd for 14.5 months and my ds for 22.5 months. Dd was mommy weaned due to a biting problem and the normal methods no longer working. She thought that my reaction was hilarious and she had 16 teeth! Ds self weaned and was down to 1 time a day at the end. They are equally attached to me. 

Maddy12922
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM
I breastfed 3kids. I let them all self wean.. My daughter, my first brestfed for 18 mos. She also used pacifier until she was almost four. My next two were sons and the middle one was two and a half when he weand and my youngest was four yes I said four. Im attached the same. My older two say I favor the youngest and they are right to an extent but thats because hes they baby and I knew I wasnt having any more children.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM
First child, only 3 mo. :((( Not as physically bonded to me.

Second child, little over a year. Needs to be near my body.

They are equally emotionally attached, ages 4&6.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DaWife806
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM
No judgement here. It's not like you were hurting anyone by breastfeeding a 4yo. If your baby enjoyed it then by all means "eat baby." My husband thought our oldest was too old to still be neat feeding at 17 months so he took her from me (We were young, unmarried, and not living together at the time). It was traumatic for me and baby. He brought her back after 3 days and I still had milk so I feed her again. Eventually I let him talk me into stopping. We were just young and I questioned if she was really too old. I loved nursing my baby and she lived nursing.

Quoting Maddy12922:

I breastfed 3kids. I let them all self wean.. My daughter, my first brestfed for 18 mos. She also used pacifier until she was almost four. My next two were sons and the middle one was two and a half when he weand and my youngest was four yes I said four. Im attached the same. My older two say I favor the youngest and they are right to an extent but thats because hes they baby and I knew I wasnt having any more children.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I breastfed my oldest for 4.5 months, and I breastfed my second and third children for 13 months each, my oldest is more attached to me then the other two.

Maddy12922
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Quoting DaWife806:

Thanks for not judging. Alot of my family and friends did. Breastfeeding was by far one of the most rewarding things I have accomplished. I encourage any new mom to do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN