Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Gestational Diabetes, I have a few questions......

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 25 Replies

I failed a 3 hour glucose test, went to the counceling apt with the nurse and the dietition. Tried following the meal plan they gave me but my sugars spike every time I try to follow the meal plan. In my testing of different foods it seems to be the carbs (breads, pasta's etc) that are spiking me. Why would the dietition constantly be on me about eating carbs if they are obviously the main thing my system can't handle? Most of the carbs I had tried that first week I made sure were whole grain and as good for me as i could find. I have taken all processed sugars out of my diet, as well as a few other things. I refuse to ingest any artificial sweeteners like splenda and sweet n low due to the aspertame (sp) in them. The only sweeteners that I have been using and haven't been priking my sugars are honey (minimal) and Stevia Raw.  My glucose levels don't spike with any amount of fruits, veggies, or meats. Just seems to be mostly grain based foods and anything with regular sugar or the corn syrup. I have added cinnamon and fenugreek suppliments to my diet.

So my question is if im maintaining my weight, keeping my levels where they should be ideally, my keoates (? SP) that I check before breakfast when I wake up every day have been perfect. Then why would the dr want to force me onto medication just so I can eat grain based foods for the next 9 weeks? Being that they are the ONLY thing that spikes my sugars.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sallymoon
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Carbs would spike your sugar levels, so I really do not understand why a dietician would tell someone with GD to eat them.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

LMenkes
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Thats what my research found, and yet the meal plan said to intake at aprox 35-45g of carbs per meal, So great lets spike them 3x a day, doesn't that sound like the best idea for my unborn and my own system....I don't get it

mdawn028
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
That doesn't make any sense carbs do spike blood sugar levels maybe your dietitian means to eat them in moderation did your dietitian tell u how many times a day to eat them? I am borderline diabetic I wanted to know more about it so I bought books on it and look recipes and things up on the internet too. If u are really bad concerned I would con cider a different dietician or look things about it up on the internet talk to your doc and buy books on it make sure u monitor your blood sugar to where it doesn't get too high or low. Hope things go better for u. Hugs Dawna
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessie3398
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I know this isn't any help but I was also told to eat ALOT of carbs when I had gd :o/
LMenkes
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I check my sugar levels about ever half hour for the next three hours or so after any meal and have cut most of my snacking down to nothing since ive been watching the sugar and don't want anything to interfere as well as only drinking water. The lowest my numbers ahve gotten since my testing have been 78, and that's first thing in the morning. Eating no carbs for three days and my levels haven't spiked past 110 and come back down to the mid 80's gradually over abotu 2.5 hours. They stay at that range until i eat again. I have been doing most of my reasearch online and on eurpoean and other eastern medical sites, as well as homeopathic sites. I added the cinnamon and fenugreek suppliments because of how they help the system handle sugars and absorb them properly.

LMenkes
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Did they put you on medication to control your glucose levels?

Quoting Jessie3398:

I know this isn't any help but I was also told to eat ALOT of carbs when I had gd :o/

Jessie3398
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM
No just the diet worked.....something about the carbs turned into the sugar that ya needed...i was diagnosed really late like 34 weeks or so so i really didn't pay much attention. Just followed the diet and checked my sugar a few times a day.
Jessie3398
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
You shouldn't need medication if your levels aren't high.

Quoting Jessie3398:

No just the diet worked.....something about the carbs turned into the sugar that ya needed...i was diagnosed really late like 34 weeks or so so i really didn't pay much attention. Just followed the diet and checked my sugar a few times a day.
LMenkes
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Yea where when i eat carbs it spikes me up to the 160-180's which isn''t worth the spike. Eating healthy just with out them then my sugar levels are pretty steady even without the snacking on fresh stuff that I am used to doing throughout the day.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Carbs should be limited to 45/meal.  Carbs get turned into sugar.No more.  Pair a protein with a carb because the protein breaks down the carb faster. Also you should be checking your blood sugars 2 hours after your meal.  Not 30 minutes.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN