Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Weight gain tips

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 21 Replies
Hi ,my 20 month old son is not gaining weight as per his age. He is now 19.6 lbs weight and height is around 30 or301/2 " . I started to gave him "pediasure" for weight gain . But he only drink 4 oz per day and not gaining weight at all.
What can I do for him??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrzalykat
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM

what dr's WONT tell you is that, that can be NORMAL!  children only eat what they NEED (most of the time) there body tells them how much they should or should not eat.  and its ok to have a thinner child.  All children are different and develope differently.  but, if you really want to get your child to eat more and gain weight try adding natural honey to some meals.  OR if baby is teething maybe there not gaining weight due to the fact it hurts to eat?  and you can never go wrong with whole milk. :)

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Is he dropping in his weight percentile?  Who told you to give him Pedisure?  

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Whole milk, whole milk baby yogurt, add cheese to foods when possible . Nut butter on toast or waffle for snacks,  PB on celery and top with raisins , etc all ways to healthily add calories w/o using those pediasures.

It can be natural for a child to plateau at this age for a little and then hit a growth spurt.

Zazayam
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly, some kids are just smaller then others. As long as he's eating healthy and not sickly or anything he's probably fine.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:28 AM

i wouldnt worry about it either, kids go through so many growth spurts, he will more than likely catch up!

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Quoting Zazayam:

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly, some kids are just smaller then others. As long as he's eating healthy and not sickly or anything he's probably fine.

This

Razor_Leaf
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My son was the same way...at a year I thoufght he was going to weigh 4 I thought he was going to weigh 40 lbs for the rest of his life..lol  He was @40lbs from the time he was around 3.  Finally at 5 he started gaining weight again and is still only 54 lbs at 9 years old....

Most of his friends are close to 70 or 80 lbs, so I asked my Dr and he said that he is fine.  He just grows slower.

kali_mom
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Not all children are going to grow and or gain at the same rate. If you have spoken with the doctor and been told all is well then I would leave it alone. He may not put on much weight at this stage but trust me he will be eating you out of house and home before you know it. My 1st son was 2 years old before he ate 1/4 of a sandwich and I celebrated. Those days are long gone he's now 23 and is in great shape.
LindaClement
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

As long as he is growing in ONE vector, whether or not he's gaining weight is completely irrelevant.

Is he getting taller? Is his head growing?

If he's not being measured in all three ways, you might as well try to 'fix' it by opening a window.

Pediasure is milk-flavoured soda: highly sweetened, low nutrient foods...

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Why does he need to gain weight?!

He doesn't sound like a big kid, and that's totally fine. Is he meeting milestones? Are you offering him healthy foods to eat? If so, nothing to worry about!

My oldest was 26lbs at 6 months, and only 24lbs at 1 year AND 2 years. He didn't gain any weight at all. He ate properly and was very active. My second child was only 17lbs at 2 years old. She's now 5 and weighs 32lbs.
My 3rd baby is 2.5 years old and weighs around 28lbs. She is only 4lbs lighter than her 5 year old sister!

This is why there is such a problem with childhood obesity. Everyone is obsessed with fattening up their child, and supplementing their diet with artificial foods. Being small is seen as abnormal now, it's disgusting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN