Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is driving me nuts. Please help!!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 29 Replies

ok so my ds is in the first grade and he has been accepted into a "Higher ability" class. He is a wize at numbers and is at a 5th grade level however every time he goes to write anyting he just seems to not be able to "put it together". No matter how much help writing just does not click. Any advice? He is getting in trouble for small things just because he is bored. His teacher knows he can do the work he just gets "bored". 

How can I help him like writing more? He loves to read and he is a very good reader but he just has a issue writing.

Love me or hate me there is no in between. I'm only me and that's all I will ever be.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Has he been evaluated for processing what he needs to write?  He could have a learning disability in that area and still be great in others.   Is he able to copy down sentences you write on a separate piece of paper?  I know for my dd the testing revealed some of her skills are in the higher grades but for writing it is a definite processing thing where she only has a 20% accuracy when she tries to write sentences she thinks of on her own.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Yes they have and he does great on them but when it comes to class work he just gets bored. His teacher said it only happens in writing. They want him to write short stories basically and he knows what he wants to say then mid way he just loses interest.

Then you tell him to stop messing with what ever he found to play with. He starts writing again but you may need to tell him again to finish it and maybe 3 times. He reads at a 3rd grade level and his reading comprehension is 4.5 according to his state test he took.

he plays reading games and we practice reading things and writeing about the stories but I'm just frustrated and don't know what else I can do to help him.

I was talking to my mom and she wants him checked for Autisim but I havn't looked into it. I don't think that is the issue at all I think he is just a little boy bored and he just happens to be very smart.

jprncess
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

First, congratualtions on having such a smart young man! My son was also ahead of all of his peers when he was that age. There are no gifted programs here so there were certain subjects that he could go up to the higher grade levels to learn more, but when he had to stay in his classroom he would be bored. The teacher would bring it to my attention, and I told her that she needed to find something to preoccupy him while she was teaching something that bored him. So my son would take a book to read if he was finished with his work before any others. Perhaps the teacher could give him worksheets that are for writing and see what he writes to see what he is doing when given his own free thoughts while bored, 

If you think that he needs tested be sure to take the writings in with you. Being in first grade, the stories are usually kind of slow and basic. It may simply take practice for him to get away from the fantasy that the higher level reading books offer. Like he can read a sentence that says: the beautiful retreiver returned the frisbee" but he can't spell all of those words yet and the dog got the ball is too simplistic or boring for him.

I wish you both all of the best.

Razor_Leaf
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM

my son has issues with writing too.  Then we found out he has a severe case of disgraphia, a learning dissability that affects the writing process.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Thank you. I think you are right on and I agree with you. My husband is the one that talked to his teacher so I will be calling her tomorrow but he told her that he sounds bored. He is in a "normal" class and I think that is the issue. Next year he will be in the program. The problem is he was tested late because my kids didn't start there till the end of Sept.So now they don't want to switch him so late in the year. So tomorrow he will be taking a Goosebump and his math sheets I printed out for him to practice some things.

Quoting jprncess:

First, congratualtions on having such a smart young man! My son was also ahead of all of his peers when he was that age. There are no gifted programs here so there were certain subjects that he could go up to the higher grade levels to learn more, but when he had to stay in his classroom he would be bored. The teacher would bring it to my attention, and I told her that she needed to find something to preoccupy him while she was teaching something that bored him. So my son would take a book to read if he was finished with his work before any others. Perhaps the teacher could give him worksheets that are for writing and see what he writes to see what he is doing when given his own free thoughts while bored, 

If you think that he needs tested be sure to take the writings in with you. Being in first grade, the stories are usually kind of slow and basic. It may simply take practice for him to get away from the fantasy that the higher level reading books offer. Like he can read a sentence that says: the beautiful retreiver returned the frisbee" but he can't spell all of those words yet and the dog got the ball is too simplistic or boring for him.

I wish you both all of the best.

Love me or hate me there is no in between. I'm only me and that's all I will ever be.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM

hmmm I have never heard of it I will have to goole it for sure. Thanks

How old is he now? Does he still have issues?

Quoting Razor_Leaf:

my son has issues with writing too.  Then we found out he has a severe case of disgraphia, a learning dissability that affects the writing process.

want10more
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM

heh you sure you ain't talking bout MY kids? they tested out too smart for their own damned good too. but but BUT? he could very well be a math wizard while words are his nemesis. slow down. do more creative writing at home. like... w/ my kid i say let's make a story. i say, my pretend dog's name is ____. he fills it in. i say he likes to ______. my blanks get longer and longer. if that doesn't work, MADLIBS! that's fun, and educational too! my kids got bored too. i had to do lots at home. they studied frogs. 3rd grade. in school they had to know what frogs lived in nodak. at home we had to find out habitat, gestation period, hibernation, the whole worx. i even had 9 frogs living in my house, we left the door open at night so we could catch flies. ew. and i had to buy mealworms to keep in the fridge. ew ew EWWWW.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I wonder if he would like Mad libs to fill in the blanks for their silly stories to keep him engaged.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I would have loved to have the frogs lol. We have only owned reptiles so I know all about the bugs :) we currently own three lizards.

Quoting want10more:

heh you sure you ain't talking bout MY kids? they tested out too smart for their own damned good too. but but BUT? he could very well be a math wizard while words are his nemesis. slow down. do more creative writing at home. like... w/ my kid i say let's make a story. i say, my pretend dog's name is ____. he fills it in. i say he likes to ______. my blanks get longer and longer. if that doesn't work, MADLIBS! that's fun, and educational too! my kids got bored too. i had to do lots at home. they studied frogs. 3rd grade. in school they had to know what frogs lived in nodak. at home we had to find out habitat, gestation period, hibernation, the whole worx. i even had 9 frogs living in my house, we left the door open at night so we could catch flies. ew. and i had to buy mealworms to keep in the fridge. ew ew EWWWW.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I never thought about them. I loved them as a kid. Thank you

Quoting frndlyfn:

I wonder if he would like Mad libs to fill in the blanks for their silly stories to keep him engaged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured