Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

help with 9 month old sleeping

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son has always woken up during the night. The older he has gotten the less often he wakes up, but for the last 4 months he has woken up at 2 or 3 am, ate 2-3 oz and crashed back out. I don't really think this awakening is due to him being hungry. I hear of all these other babies his age and younger that sleep all night with no waking up. In the late afternoon (7ish)I put off feeding him until he is just starving and then feed him baby food along with cereal to be an extra filler and he eats 4-5 oz of formula. He crashes out around 8:30 - 9pm. I feel like he should atleast make it to 6:30 without waking up. Any advice for getting him to sleep longer? I have a monitor that i usually keep on and i feel bad when its 3am and he wakes up crying and i turn it off to let him cry it out. He has been falling back to sleep after a few minutes of crying, and hasn't put himself in any bad sleeping position when he does give it up. But i feel like a bad mom and scared something is going to happen (get a limb stuck between the slats, etc)if i don't get up to check on him. Advice?
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
After 5min of crying, do a brief check-in, wait & if he is crying in 10 additional min check again, then check every 15 min until he is asleep. Read or watch the DVD SleepEasy Solution.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Soothe him without feeding. I did that and got mine to sleep 8 hours straight by 5 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Some babies have a difficult time figuring out how to get themselves back to sleep. If you can tolerate it do check on him after a few mins but don't offer the breast or bottle and see how it goes after a week. He should begin to realize he won't get anything other than comfort and soon learn to fall back asleep. Hang in there
LoreleiSieja
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

It probably is time that he learn to sleep through the night.  And if Cry-It-Out is working, then go for it.  you are not a bad mom to let him cry himself back to sleep.  Don't let him cry for hours and hours, of course, but if he falls back to sleep after 15 minutes of crying, you can just relax.  This is fine and you are not a bad mama.  His waking up to eat sounds like it's just a habit, and one he will soon be broken from. 

If he cries longer than 15- 20 minutes, or if he cries so long that he vomits, or if he cries himself to sleep, but then wakes up after a half hour and cries again - then you probably can't use the "Cry it out" method.  There are other methods to train your  baby to sleep.  You can google, or check this list for similar discussions on Sleep Training.  

http://raisingcreativechildren.com/nail-biting/

LindaClement
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It is abnormal for humans to sleep longer than 45-90 minutes at a time. They all (unless they're drugged or delirious or in a coma) wake at the end of each sleep cycle and check themselves and their surroundings to see if they need anything.

If they don't need anything, most people fall back to sleep without remembering that they woke. If they need something, they wake fully and deal with it. 

Insomniacs do exactly the same thing, but they remember waking and not sleeping.

One of the really disturbing things sleep researchers found when they stopped accepting parents' reports and started recording actual sleeping, is the prevalence of parents sleeping through their children's prolonged (and LOUD!) distress in the night.

That is: there are many parents who are convinced that their children are 'sleeping through the night' when in fact it is only the parents who are.

bsavard93
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My son did that in the beginning of sleeping in his own bed. I know it is hard to hear them cry, but if his feed and has a fresh diaper, chances are he is okay. If it becomes screaming I would check because he could be hurt in some way. I read that if your going to check on them dont pick them up, sooth them in another way, such as rubbing their head, arm, etc. Then leave the room while they are still awake, even if they are crying, and let them try to get themselves back to sleep. If he wakes up again and crys, wait longer before you go in and check (again unless it seems like they could be hurt) and do that process all over again. Keep doing this, while leaving more time before you check on them. I would let my son cry it out and he has been sleeping through the night since around month 3. I hope this helps, and I read this off of BabyCenter.com They have alot of useful information on there.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Keep doing what you're doing, he will learn to put himself back to sleep. Probably even by tonight! It usually only takes 3 or 4 nights. If you really want to check on him, sneak in there and take a look, but don't let him see you. You need your sleep mama.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting! I'm insomniac and always remembe waking : /

Quoting LindaClement:

It is abnormal for humans to sleep longer than 45-90 minutes at a time. They all (unless they're drugged or delirious or in a coma) wake at the end of each sleep cycle and check themselves and their surroundings to see if they need anything.

If they don't need anything, most people fall back to sleep without remembering that they woke. If they need something, they wake fully and deal with it. 

Insomniacs do exactly the same thing, but they remember waking and not sleeping.

One of the really disturbing things sleep researchers found when they stopped accepting parents' reports and started recording actual sleeping, is the prevalence of parents sleeping through their children's prolonged (and LOUD!) distress in the night.

That is: there are many parents who are convinced that their children are 'sleeping through the night' when in fact it is only the parents who are.

LindaClement
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

The really funny footage is the insomniacs arguing with the researchers about how much they sleep while they're watching themselves sleep on tape. Even watching themselves snoring, some people are adamant that they 'didn't sleep a wink.'

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Interesting! I'm insomniac and always remembe waking : /

Quoting LindaClement:

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Maybe play music or white noise or something in his room?

I cosleep, sorry I don't have any other advice.. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN