Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Needing advice opinions on baby development

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM
  • 22 Replies
I have one child, my first and only. She was born 6weeks premature due to my having HELLP syndrome. She has done everything late which is expected as she was early. However I have noticed she does everything backwards. She never crawled. At 13 mons she began toddling a bit. At 14 mons she is walking better more independently that is. However she will not pull up to stand and if she reaches for something on the floor she falls every time. She cannot bend her knees and straighten back up at all without falling,! She is 14 mons and kids way younger are already doing so much more? Does she need therapy? What can I do to encourage these skills at this point because she does walk fairly well only falling at times. Advice please!!! I am a worry wart for sure. Shared experiences are appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
She should be about 6 weeks behind in milestones. My girls never walked on their own till 16 and 19 months and they were born late. Just wait and give it time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
3 moms liked this

NEVER NEVER NEVER compare your kid to other kids. It's sheer madness. If you think she may be delayed or that something is wrong then talk with  your doctor. Some kids do some things incredibly early and others incredibly late. If she's doing things consistently late-very late then there's reason to talk to your doctor.

To me she sounds pretty normal overall. My grandson flat out refused to walk until he was about 2. My daughter-in-law was in a total panic. Finally  he started walking and the docs say he just plain didn't want to. There's nothing wrong with him. 

Some kids never learn to be gymnasts because their bodies just don't work that way. They've got all the grace of a charging bull elephant. While others it just comes naturally to them. It's the same idea. It's not their natural ability. Your child probably won't be a gymnast-she doesn't have the natural coordination and grace that comes easy to those kids. Her strengths will be in something else. 

Veras_mom22212
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much for the reply! I know I worry too much.... I just want to make sure she is on target. Do you think you can encourage crawling or pulling up? Or just let her do what she will do?
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Does she have any of those fun walker toys or perhaps a baby doll stroller she can practice pushing around?  I would just leave her be for now but talk to your doctor about any concerns.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM
You can encourage it, but they do it when they want to.

Quoting Veras_mom22212:

Thank you so much for the reply! I know I worry too much.... I just want to make sure she is on target. Do you think you can encourage crawling or pulling up? Or just let her do what she will do?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

oh oh there are fabric tunnels that children can crawl through for fun.

Playhut 6-Foot Play Tunnel - Playhut  - Babies"R"Us  Disney Princess Hide N' Play Tent - Playhut  - Babies"R"Us

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Why does she NEED to crawl? She's toddling around on her feet. Pulling up? Absolutely. When she's laying on her back grab her little hands and have her pull up. That's about the best start. If she's getting to her feet on her own she's pulling up somehow??? 

Quoting Veras_mom22212:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Some babies never crawl.  My first pulled up without even crawling.  He also didn't walk until 14 months.  She sounds like she is fine.  She is 14 months age with 6 weeks subtracted she would be a round 12 months.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Have you talked to her Ped about this and possibly testing? That is where I would begin to get some answers.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Talk with her pediatrician about your concerns.  Mom's intuition is often correct.  On the other hand, the milestone for walking is not considered delayed till 18mo I believe.  I find the best therapy is simply playing with your child.  How about teaching her ring around the rosie to work on squatting and standing back up.  Have fun!  Kids grow much too quickly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)