Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

hair pulling/SOS/HELP!!!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 28 Replies
My LO got the bad habbit of pulling hair & yes I allowed the bad habbit. It started off as lightly running his fingers thru my hair to help him sleep than turned to full on pulling my hair out when he got agitated. A couple strands at first, than chunks. Now I realized today I have a huge bald spot, which I will post a picture here in a few, but I need advice on how to break him. He's 7 months old and he's so use to doing it to fall asleep but my hair and head can't handle it any longer. Again I KNOW I allowed this to happen and continue, just need help knowing how to break him.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2my2boys
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM
slap his hand and tell him NO that hurts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillsMOM72
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM
This.

Quoting mama2my2boys:

slap his hand and tell him NO that hurts!

TaysMaMa09
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I have done that and even say ouch when he doesn't do it hard but than he thinks its a game.
Briangel
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Try doing it a little harder, or flicking her hand. My dd pulls hair, grabs and pulls ears and cheeks, and it hurts!! I flick her hand and tell her no. She doesn't think it's a game, but she will stop in the moment. I think I need to do it harder for her to "get" it
TaysMaMa09
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM

This is how bad its gotten & I didn't realize it till today. The other side isn't as bad...
jenk928
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Because he is used to bdoing this, it will take a while of you telling him no for him to stop. Just stay consistent.
kali_mom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Staying firm but kind and actually telling him it hurts mommy. Pull his hand away and have a toy or blanket you can offer him as soon as he does it. You will need to do this time and time again to re teach him. Your scalp will thank you
LoreleiSieja
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

He's a baby, and TALKING to him isn't going to break this habit.  He won't understand.  There are two things you need to do, at the same time.  One is, give him an alternative to hair pulling. The other is to frighten him out of this behavior.  

I don't mean "frighten him" like child abuse. But the next time - and every time - he pulls hair, yell "OUCH!"  Get very loud.  Try to force real tears.  Put him DOWN if you are holding him.  Move away from him if you are lying in bed together.  Rub the sore spot.  If you do your job right, he will probably cry.  But he will stop pulling hair, if you repeat this.  

Trying giving him a long-haired troll doll to sleep with.  Or a fuzzy stuffed toy.  Or a soft, special blanket.  

Good luck!

edieda
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I agree whole heartedly with the last poster here before I posted my response to your question. Stay firm but on the other hand don't hit or slap his hands, give him a toy or a blanket or something that you will discover is soothing to him and will stop him from pulling your hair, be kind but stay firm. I am just not in favor of slapping/hitting a seven month old baby. that sounds abusive to me. Keep doing this and letting the baby know this hurts and offer him a toy or the blanket and stay consistent in doing this.

LindaClement
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It's not a 'bad habit' --it's a coping technique for anxiety.

As in all anxiety behaviours, the issue isn't 'get him to stop what he's doing' but to alleviate the anxiety, and help him learn more appropriate anxiety-handling behaviours.

I don't recommend breaking children, there are sufficient broken adult in the world, today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN