Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice on getting a 2 year old to sleep on his own!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey all! Im completely new to this but I need some advice! My 2 year old son co slept until about 14 months when he started sleeping in his crib, and at around 19 months he figured out how to climb out and never would stay in it after that. So we wernt back to co sleeping. My husband works nights so I always felt better just having him in bed with me but I now am starting to work on getting him to sleep alone in his toddler bed. He did for a few nights but then he got sick and wouldnt sleep alone until his cold was gone. But now, anytime I take him to his room he freaks out and starts crying and yelling no. He is very independent besides his sleeping habits. Any tips on how to get him to think bedtime isnt so bad? 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Athira
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I also have same problem...

mom_to_kenzie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Bump..my almost 2 year old won't stay in his bed to go to sleep without me laying with him until he falls asleep.
Lindsay11
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:52 PM

He wont even stay in his bed if Im in the room. he immidiately grabs his blanket to go downstairs. I hope yall start having better luck then I am lol

EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

why not sit in his floor next to his bed until he falls asleep for a night or 2 and then slowly move the time you leave his room to just before you think he's asleep for a night or 2 and just move it up and soon he'll be able to go to sleep in there on his own

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Any reason you need to move him right now? It sounds like he's just not ready.
Lindsay11
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I've tried staying next to his bed. I guess he's just not ready yet. I love co sleeping but I feel like I don't get anything done at night.
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you lay down with him in your bed, and then get up... Or tuck him into your bed?

Quoting Lindsay11:

I've tried staying next to his bed. I guess he's just not ready yet. I love co sleeping but I feel like I don't get anything done at night.
Raeann11
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I am no hope. I let my kids move when they were ready. My second it took her a long time. She was three and still coming to our bed. Once her sister was born. She did it less and less. But they all right know get one night a week to sleep in our room. My oldest is 9 years old and rarely does that anymore. Usually it is for a bad dream or bad storms.

Lindsay11
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I rock him to sleep and then he sleeps on the couch until I am ready to go to bed. But there are nights where he wont go to sleep until I go up to bed with him. I think I am just going to hold off for now until I feel more comfortable with it and he seems a little more at ease with it. He has started playing in his room more so Im hoping that will help him get used to it better. thanks for all the advice though yall!

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:20 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to alter your perception of who is in charge of this situation.  We fail our kids if we allow them to do what they want,  just because they're louder, they cry or they outlast us. We are the adults and we must set rules and limits for their own health, safety and mental well-being.

Send a clear and firm message that playtime is over and rest time has begun. If your child cries, yells, or throws a fit, don’t return immediately — that will send the message that throwing a tantrum results in Mommy’s immediate return to the bedside. Instead, let him fuss, and then after several minutes, return and reassure him that everything is okay (a simple, “Shh, it’s night-night time” or a pat on the back will suffice). Then swiftly leave the room. Know that you may need to repeat this process at regular intervals until your toddler finally falls asleep. But whatever you do, don’t give in after half an hour and pick up your overtired tot or feed him — that will send the message that if he cries long and hard enough, he’ll eventually get his way.

If your toddler stands up in his crib or gets out of bed and leaves the room, redirect him quickly and firmly. With as few words as possible, tuck him back in and leave the room. No matter how many times he pops back up and out to see you, promptly (and quietly) return him to bed. At some point he’ll realize that he’s not going to get to stay up and hang out with you.

Never stay away for more than five minutes if your toddler is still crying. Indeed, if your child is very upset, visit as frequently as once a minute.

Never stay IN THE BEDROOM for more than the minute it takes to resettle your child and repeat that quick "good night." Ignore her if she pops back up to her feet again.

If your child is used to going to sleep in the dark, try to avoid turning the lights on when you go into her room. Don't do anything to disturb the monotony of your routine.

Never take your child back out of the crib unless her diaper is dirty, she has vomited, or the bed is on fire.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured