Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

training a co-worker plz help!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am a preschool teacher, and have never been a mentor teacher before. There is a language barrier also, but something else also. Feel like my attempts to train are taken the wrong way, or I'm told yes I understand but will do what I want. I believe this is her 5th week now. I know she is very entry level, starting last week I started to kinda step back and let her stand on her own. It is a very busy afternoon class and we are busy getting children down for naps (some who do not nap) and cleaning or doing prep. I feel like I'm loosing my patients and feel she may not be cut out for this line of work. Please give me ideas on how to build a mentor relationship, because I feel like I'm running around covering a lot when it is supposed to be a team environment. 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I have a co-worker that I mentor and there is a bit of a language barrier as well. At first she acted like she wanted me to do the work for her. I made it very clear that I was there to support her but I would not do her job for her. I found it best writting out certain steps for her to do to get started and discussed everything Asa whole. It was a lot if information to learn at first so I did repeat a few things and had her write down a few things. I met with her once a week at first, then twice a month, and now once a month.
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That is exactly how I feel like she is letting me do a lot. I was told to instruct her, but by 5 weeks she should be catching on more. I feel like she doesn't want to do certain things and will ignore me. I'm with her everyday, but with me carring the slack my time I usually do other things with a strong teacher is put to the side.  I also feel she favors certain children and kinda snubs the others instead of just stepping in when there is a need. I told her to think over some goals she wanted to achieve, maybe one a week. I was thinking I do need to meet with her and have her goals written down and write down the conduct I am observing. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

She may not be cut out for this field so as part of your job , you need to let your supervisor/boss know about it.  Perhaps they will have ideas how you can build her independance more.

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Not much help but giving you a bump for more help.

Good luck!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Sometimes it's easy to forget that other people are not YOU, kwim?

Keep being friendly, ask what would help her learn better, and give her a chance.

If she continues to not work out consider other options. Gl!!
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I think your idea of writing down goals and having weekly progress meetings is a great one. I think you are going to have to toughen up a little, it kinda sounds like she's not respecting your authority. Say things like "I've noticed you seem to favor so&so, please try to treat them all with the same level of kindness"

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Ask her how she feels she is doing and if she needs help that you are there to assist her.  Review with her how she is doing every week or other.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting emarin77:

Ask her how she feels she is doing and if she needs help that you are there to assist her.  Review with her how she is doing every week or other.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I was able to meet with her breifly today before some of the children became a distraction for us. I asked her to write what skills she feels she has learned while in the position. I was suprised by some of the responses ( it could be that she does not have the right words to phase it correctly.) I used her responses to create 2 goals for next week. I asked her to re-write the goals and it had nothing to do with the goals at all. So I wrote them under the goals she had wrote and said this is what you wanted to work on for next week correct? Yes, so hopefully we can make some connection with what is expected of her. I did have to re-phrase my questions with her and she did let me know she did not understand fully what I ment when I asked what she felt she had accomplished. 

Quoting emarin77:

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Continue using this way of mentoring and training others.  It definitely helps with people that speak another language and those with hidden learning disabilities like Central Auditory Processing disorder.  People with CAPD can hear clearly but their processing of what you communicate to them can be jumbled.  Enjoy teaching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN