Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

how do you deal with your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have twins who are going to be 16 in a couple of months and they are literally making me feel crazy.  They have no respect for me.  I honestly don't know why I talk at my house. I want to sleep when I'm home with them.  It's just easier that way. How can I interact with them without arguing with them?  I just have 2 yrs. left. I really need help

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Have they always been this disrespectful towards you or is it a recent thing?  I would lay down the "i am the parent so you need to listen" rule to them.  You will be their mother for their whole life not just until 18.   There should be some consequences any time they mouth off or do not follow house rules.

Athira
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hey I also have twins and they are turning 20 month next week.But I don't have any problem with them.When they do wrong I call them to me and let sit them in my lap ,then I told them that is wrong and this,this are the cause etc...

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Show them you love them.

Give them respect.

Expect love and respect back.

Pick your battles.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

And don't expect it to be only two more years. That's only if you are lucky.

*hugs*

jojo_star
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM

My children respect me, I rarely have issues. My kids are 11, 14, 15, and 16. Just lay down the law I suppose, and don't fight with them, just walk away. 

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I live by the book Have A New Teenager By Friday. It ended the constant struggle in my home!

susankl
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM

thanks so much for the advise.  I'll be getting the bookblowing kisses too

Susan

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

This author is very good. I have the Have a New Child one and it really helps you set up accountability. Your sons will need to learn this because soon they are men and if they don't  they may have problems with the law or anything else, employers. 

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I live by the book Have A New Teenager By Friday. It ended the constant struggle in my home!

ChocolateJunky
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

My nieces are the same way. As soon as they turned 14, the sweet little girls disappeared. The 16 year old has mellowed out a bunch over the last couple of months.

I can't offer any advice. My oldest is 3. But I'm curious what others say.

RShay735
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Mothering continues past the age of eighteen. Our daughter is the same age as your twins, so I completely understand the disrespect they can show. It sounds like your twins need more discipline. It may be time to remind them that their phones, computers, cars, and free time are privligaes. 

NocturnesAngel
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM
I would stop talking, place a sign within Everyone's eyesight that has Each Person's Responsibilities for Each Day for that week and the Consequences if the Responsibilities/Tasks are not done. Cleaning John's Room Daily, Taking out Tuesday's Trash, Loading Dishwasher on Thursday, etc. Reprimands: No Cellphones, No Movies, No Going Out, No Dances, No Prom, No Baseball, No Video Games, etc. Assign a Reprimand to each Task. If each day or each week tasks are not completed don't argue, call your phone carrier and Suspend those Particular Lines. Don't Disconnect Them, Just Suspend The Lines. But Don't tell your Teens :) You can also have your Cable/Satellite Boxes Disabled in the Rooms you choose and have them Locked with ONLY YOU having the PASSCODE. If you need to, call you Local County Jail or Juvenile Center or Both and have them give your teens a Scared Straight Walk Through.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)