Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Eating problems

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 27 Replies
So my son is 27 mo and we have been having a huge problem with him not eating at dinner time. Only dinner! He eats breakfast and lunch for me fine. But right as soon as I give him is dinner plate he starts screaming and kicking. Sometimes he throws his plate or food on the floor. He has been doing this for awhile and I don't know what to do. I don't believe in giving him a choice at dinner. You eat what is made or don't eat at all (call me old fashioned). Is there anyone else that had or is having the problem HELP!!! I'm ripping out my hair on this one.
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Take the food away. He has to know now throwing food is unexceptable. Kids eat when hungry. He does it because you allow it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessb20
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM
We have done the taking and giving it back when calms down but he still refuses to and I don't believe it's not because he isn't hungry because he is under my feet the whole time crying that he wants to eat while I'm cooking our dinner.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Stay in charge. Eat it or else. I take it you are not feeding exotic foods.

Quoting jessb20:

We have done the taking and giving it back when calms down but he still refuses to and I don't believe it's not because he isn't hungry because he is under my feet the whole time crying that he wants to eat while I'm cooking our dinner.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM

First, try to figure out what is going on, including seeing if he can tell you anything.  What is different about dinner?  Some kids of sensory processing issues, and maybe there is a consistency of food you serve in the evening that bothers him, or something else that is a problem at that meal. I'm not saying that you cater to his every whim and make him special meals, just to see if you can figure out what the trigger is.  Or is he trying to get attention from a parent that he hasn't seen all day...like if you are with him 3 meals a day, and dinner is the only meal he sees his dad at, maybe this is a way to get attention.  If so, you could try setting aside 20 minutes for dad to play one-on-one with him before dinner, so that he gets some positive attention. I'm not saying this is the case, just giving an example of how you can try to find the cause.

If there isn't an obvious trigger that you can figure out and avoid, then I'd go with the PP post suggestion. Explain that if he throws his food or kicks, you will take the food away and dinner will be over. And then do it...no warnings, no second chances, and no snacks later.  Brace yourself for a meltdown.  And probably another one tomorrow. But he should get it within a couple of days. 

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Around that age, we told our daughter that if she started throwing food onthe floor, that meant that she was done eating and we took the food.

jessb20
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Lol no its normal foods. Like tonight was noodles peas and sausage with cheese and he threw a fit!

Quoting atlmom2:

Stay in charge. Eat it or else. I take it you are not feeding exotic foods.

Quoting jessb20:

MrsPeterkin
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Why time do you eat dinner?
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM
One evening feed exactly what he ate for lunch. Then you know it is just his temper and not the food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Also tell him before you sit down that throwing food is unexceptable. Do you do time outs? If not, I would start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I agree with trying to see if he will eat lunch items for dinner and see how that goes.  Does he get a different style plate for dinner?  This age is really hard to figure out their thinking process.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN