Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

if you've ever lost a pet...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
How do you heal? My kids are taking it really hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

We always have had a funeral for the pet. We talk about our lost pets frequently. We also, when the kids were young, got books from the library and read them.

PinkParadox
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
If you buried them...try making it pretty plant flowers, paint rocks. Dig out old pictures and make a collage or picture book. Also just talk a lot. A lot of times just doing a physical activity, that helps them talk about and honor their memory can help.
LoveMyKBabies
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
So far we haven't had a pet die since our kids were born. We would probably have a small funeral though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
They'll heal with time. Make a small memorial in your yard. They have those stepping stones in craft stores you decorate...let them decorate it in the pet's honor and maybe plant a bush or flowers by it. Let them decorate a frame and display a pic o the pet. Each of you take turns telling a funny story about the pet. Sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I am still mourning the death of my cockatoo that was a year ago in April. I know that a bird like her is even more like a child than a dog or cat but... It's killing me! It took me a year or so to get over losing our dog a few years back. You just have to cry, talk, cry a little more, remember, talk... work through it. 

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Read them Rainbow bridge...and just take it day by day!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

i had a dog die 8 yrs ago..and i still don't think i'm "over it" yet...i miss her like crazy! but with my situation, i think it's because i didnt get to say good bye to her...i knew she was sick..and i knew the day was coming..but..my parents took her in to get put down while i was at work..didnt tell me anything! so when i came home that night and saw my dog was gone..omg, it was horrible!!

anywho!!! talking about it helps..looking thru pictures with the kiddos will help as well.  and just reassure them that it's ok to be sad..and it's ok to cry!

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

One of our German Shepherds passed away this October. My son was very upset for a couple days....cried the whole first day it happened. Eventually, he started feeling better but he still brings it up on occasion. It just takes time.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)