Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 almost 11 year old daughter normal behavior???

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM
  • 43 Replies
So, to give an example, this morning, we all had to get up extra early for my daughter to go to band....none of us are really morning people so its always rough no matter what. But this morning she was running late and we were all waiting for her in the van. When she got out to the van, my younger son was already in the front seat (she likes to ride in the front in the morning, he rides in the front in the afternoon) but since we were running late, I decided to just let him stay and told her to get in the back seat. Oh boy. She said "no", then stood outside in the cold with her arms crossed and said she was not getting in the car. That really grated my nerves! I told her to get in the van or she would be grounded all weekend. So she complied but not without lip. I told her how much I dislike the attitude and that we pay for her to do band every month and that if she didn't want to do it anymore, we would stop it. But the attitude has got to,go. Is this "normal" tween behavior? how do you tell the difference? And how do you deal with nit without feeling totally disrespected and being upset with them?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

No not normal and totally unacceptable. She needs to speak respectfully. She sounds more like  spoiled than hormonal.

Me I would have shut the car off went inside and put them on the bus at the normal time. After apologizing to your son for making him get up early.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Normal, just discipline her.  Give her one warning and that is it.  Let her know now it is unacceptable because by 13 or 14 she will be awful.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

DanaG70
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup, sounds like my daughter at that age, and no she wasn't "spoiled". She eventually out grew it, but it was touch and go for a while.

kelster_momof4
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Why can't I think of this stuff??????? I would have had to drive them to school anyways, but still, none of us enjoy band mornings. I wish I could be more clever when these situations arise. I always feel like I do the wrong thing. And then after its over, figure out so many other ways I could have handled it and maybe even had success and taught the kid something. Sometimes iI really feel like I have no clue what I am doing with my older two. My younger two its like I have it all figured out. But the older ones, I really have no idea what I am doing sometimes.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Tough!!

Such a split in replies so far.

My 6yo has been being a rotten shit. Not spoiled, just forgets who the boss is on occasion.

Dh reminded her yesterday lol.

I think it's partly normal but how you deal is important. Gl mama!!
PinkParadox
Anonymous replies are cowardly. Stand behind what you say, or shut up. That is all.
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM
This. Also, pay attention to when it gets the worst. Women that live together generally menstrate at the same time. So, if it peaks around the same time as you would generally have pms...you know it's hormonal. Doesn't mean you should just put up with it, but it does give you more to work with.

Quoting atlmom2:

Normal, just discipline her.  Give her one warning and that is it.  Let her know now it is unacceptable because by 13 or 14 she will be awful.

veganistic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally normal, But yes, just keep disciplining her her when she acts like that. I like the other moms idea of not taking her at all.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cairymom
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Gosh I am in the same boat with my 11 (almost 12) yr old son.  I get attitude all the time from him. 

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Yes, it is normal. My parents usually didn't respond to me when I got sassy. I would get a privelage taken away for the day or maybe the next day too. It WILL get worse! LOL Mine is 15 and there is no end in sight! LOL

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Yea that is common for girls her age.  Now is the time to nip it in the butt.  My children learned REALLY quick that they are not to say "NO" to me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured