Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Vocabulary at three?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 12 Replies
I was wondering what is normal for this age. My 34 month old says things like (at the sink brushing her teeth) "mommy, please move my stool a little bit further to the middle." She grasps concepts and utilizes words appropriately, not just copying phrases. I didn't think anything of it (she's my first) but recently people have commented on it.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Hmm not sure.  If you have questions, usually the dept of education does free screenings for children up to a certain age. Don't worry too much about what other children do compared to yours since each one is unique in their own way.  I am presuming the adults speak in this manner though since children learn their communication by listening to others.

CrimsonGrace
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Sounds normal to me, but I am comparing to my kid only.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM
My dd is this way, not my DS or dd2. It's advanced for the age, but I've been reading that just cause their advanced at one age doesn't mean they won't slow down and be equal to peers later. But you may have a smarty on your hands
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

My daughter is like that also.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That's pretty normal! My 2.5 year old speaks in full sentences, and has great manners. She has a very broad vocabulary.

yperez0209
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I don't know if this is the case across the board but my daughters seemed to have a broader vocabulary at a much younger age than my boys. 

My now 2 and half yr old speaks amazingly but my seven yr old son is getting special help in school for speech. My oldest is a girl and she was also a great speaker. The other two boys are twins and had or have speech delays, which is common in twins. They got help for three yrs and then phased out of early intervention. 

So, she sounds to me like my daughters. 

Rowdys.Mommy
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM
My 3 year old (I quit counting months at a year) has a complete full vocabulary
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

sounds normal to me too!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My dd at 18 months talked in full sentences. Not those grown up words but full sentences. She talked before one. Her sister that didn't talk till 2 actually did much better in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM
My kids are very advanced for their age...especially my daughter, she always has been.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)