Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How often would you feed your 6mth old solids(rice cereal)? Mine just started but not a "sitter" still needs support?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 15 Replies

I got the ok from my baby's pediatrician that I can start feeding him rice cereal from my baby's 4 month check up. He was already 5 months at the time but his appointments are a little behind due to over load of other children's schedules. My son didn't take the spoon feeding for a while, I tried a couple times and decided he wasn't ready yet. I just tried again now, he just turned 6 months and while he still spits out, just a little, he does consume the rest. I mix a half spoon full of rice, I use the scooper from his formula. He takes Gerber Good Start Gentle btw. I've only started doing this at night before bed time. And he finishes with his 8oz bottle, he drinks mostly 6oz or 7oz of it. He goes to daycare full time 40 hours a week while I work so eventually I'll have to write down amounts for the daycare provider to give him. Is it expected I give it to him throughout the day or just once a day/night cause I don't want him to be constipated?  

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Here's a bump. I wouldn't feed a 6 month old solids.

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I would not feed a 6 month old solids either. If she cannot sit without support, it is dangerous on top of it.
emilyelephant
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Whenever you want, "solids before one are just for fun." Babies do need to be sitting on their own before they start solids. We've only tried rice/oatmeal 2-3 times and it made her horribly gassy every time. Look into baby led solids.

kaylaybaby666
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
If he does fine, go for it. He wont fill up on formula anymore and he might like the food change. Do you feed him baby food
armyvet06
by Ashley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I usually only gave DD rice cereal mixed with formula just before bed to help keep her tummy full a little longer. And she got dissolvable baby rice cakes in the morning right after her bottle.
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

A supported sitter isn't ready for solids yet.  I don't feed cereals at all.  They're garbage.  I would wait to start any solids until he is sitting by himself, and then I would start with regular table foods, cut up very small.

agrisham13mom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I follow my kids cues, but I do not feed any of my kids that nasty cereal... I start my kids on veggies and it is always after 6 months.. Especially if your child is not sitting well on his own I would wait a little bit longer prior to starting any foods.. Good luck :)
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

We don't feed cereal because it is garbage and babies can't process it yet.  We also would not be starting solids until our child is an independent sitter.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I wouldn't feed a six month old solids, especially one that can't sit yet, and really especially not cereal.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I breastfeed, so no idea about the bottles.

I start solids between 7-10 months. No cereals, no purees, no spoons. I just offer whatever we are eating. Some of our first foods were chunks of baked sockeye salmon, baked chicken breast, steamed veggies, avocado, banana, edamame beans etc.

I wait until my baby is able to pick up chunks of food and feed themself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)