Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Ready to work! How to transition in to the workforce with no previous work experience

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi I am a stay at home mom. Ready to be a working mom. I have 4 boys and now my baby has started kindergarten I am ready to work. I am noticing that although I have my GED and computer skills, I have taken a few work readiness courses and received certificates for them. No one seems to want to take a chance on me. I am positive not nervous a hard worker  a pretty good resume considering all of my work experience has been volunteer. I am actively involved with my PTA and I am hoping that something will come up soon. I would love some advice on how I can get in to the workforce. I am looking for an entry level position in customer service. What are employers really looking for?

On my resume I have listed my current employment as Home manager and Events coordinator instead of a stay at home mom for 15 years. I wonder if that has anything to do with not getting a call back or is it just my lack of work experience?

confused

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

"<<<On my resume I have listed my current employment as Home manager and Events coordinator instead of a stay at home mom for 15 years. I wonder if that has anything to do with not getting a call back or is it just my lack of work experience?>>>"

YA THINK???  Lying on a resume is NOT a way to influence people, especially since it is such an obvious and egregious lie.  You are not EMPLOYED as anything.

The fact that you only have a GED is also part of the problem.  If you want to work in an officce, you should work on getting an Associates Degree in Office Systems Technologies.  You really need to learn MS office, including Word, Excel, Photoshop, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and others.  You also need to demonstrate a grasp of college level reading and writing, business communications, and business accounting.

With what you have now, I'd aim for an enry level job at Micky D's, and go to school nights as well.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

There is a huge difference between volunteering and actually working a set schedule with set responsibilities. Especially an older woman who has spent the last few years raising children, with not college education, I would say your prospects aren't that great for a good job. Not to mention you are lying. No one wants someone who isn't honest. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I suggest going back to school and getting at least your Associates degree.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Sometimes it's possible to volunteer your way into a job, if you're not desperate for money perhaps you could do that, or ask for an unpaid internship so you can learn, and then add that to your resume.Don't feel bad about being a SAHM, you picked up plenty of life experience and skills at home! Is there someone who could help you edit your resume? You might want to post in a different group, there are some real meanies here! 

zboys
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Did you put your volunteer experience and your PTA experience on  your resume? 

I just re-entered the work force last October as a caregiver and am loving it.  I'm part-time which is what I want.  It took me a couple years to look around, take resume classes, etc. before I finally landed this job.  I'll be 50 in June and my youngest son is graduating at the end of May. 

I have a thick notebook for my jobsearch paperwork, etc. I used a variety of resources that are available in my community:  The Women's Resource Center, the library (they have all kinds of job search classes), the local community college job office, and even Goodwill, which has a career center.

I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of job experience.  It's hard to find work these days.  My oldest son who is 22 has been looking for work since December with no leads yet.  He's coming to the realization that you have to be persistent in this competitive world.

zboys
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I just read the other "advisors' " posts.  I don't think you are lying at all.  Since I was out of the workforce for over 20 years, I had to word my resume similar to that to "make it fit."  A couple of the resources I referred to above also encouraged me to "jazz up" my resume in that regard.

zboys
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think volunteering says volumes on a resume!  Plus, raising children is quite a feat in itself!  She is looking for advice, not discouragement.

Quoting jojo_star:

There is a huge difference between volunteering and actually working a set schedule with set responsibilities. Especially an older woman who has spent the last few years raising children, with not college education, I would say your prospects aren't that great for a good job. Not to mention you are lying. No one wants someone who isn't honest. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
I think anything will take you if you interview well and keep at them.

Be prepared to not get anything great though, at first- agree with the rest, try for some licenses/ degrees.

What are you shooting for?
JeremysMom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I looked at your profile to see what city you are in and was hoping you were near me, because I will be recruiting people for AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) in a few months. I did see what city you were in and I have a friend that does recruiting for the same positions that I do. Unfortunately, I didn't see any positions currently open. I did find a job that you might be interested in and qualify for.It's just for the summer but it would give you a start.

http://www.hfuw.org/media/BOYSANDGIRLSCLUBJob_4_Summer_Program_Asst.pdf

I would also go to your local Department of Labor and have them look over your resume. They may also offer some classes to help you as well. Good Luck!

jojo_star
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Volunteering is great, but if that is all you have done, and you are an adult, it isn't that great, especially with no education to back it up. Raising children, also not that unusual, and certainly not a quality many employers look for.

Quoting zboys:

I think volunteering says volumes on a resume!  Plus, raising children is quite a feat in itself!  She is looking for advice, not discouragement.

Quoting jojo_star:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)