Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how did you handle childcare?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM
  • 19 Replies
So, this question is for women who don't live close to family, or are new to their area and have not made close friends yet. I have two boys (5 & 3) and I am due in September with my 3rd. I live about an hour away from closest family, and about 30 minutes from closest friend I can trust. My past two labors have come on super quickly, and with both of them I was set to push within 20 minutes of arriving at the hospital, and both have been completely delivered after about an hour or so of pushing. I'm kind of freaking out because I don't know what to do with my kids lol. Right now, the plan is that dh's friend who is 30 minutes from us will just drop everything and meet us at the hospital to pick up the boys. But he has his own life and I feel like I can't just count on him to be able to do that at any moment. Also, dh works about 20 minutes away from home and we will have to wait for him to get home to drive us another 20 minutes to the hospital. I am trying to avoid induction at all costs, but i know I may just have to do it that way to make sure my boys are cared for and dh is there with me. If it comes down to it I will just deliver by myself while dh waits outside with the boys. But I really want dh to be there with me, especially since this will be our last, and the only girl! So, any ladies been in this situation? How did you handle childcare during your delivery? Any advice would be helpful, I just don't feel very in control right now lol.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM

hire a doula for yourself in case dh can't be with you

JoeMax
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Isn't that kind of expensive? I haven't really considered that, but it is something to think about.

Quoting emmy526:

emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

i dont know...one was provided to me thru my insurance

Quoting JoeMax:

Isn't that kind of expensive? I haven't really considered that, but it is something to think about.

Quoting emmy526:

JoeMax
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Ok, maybe I should ask the insurance company about that. I just thought it was an out of pocket thing.

Quoting emmy526:

i dont know...one was provided to me thru my insurance

Quoting JoeMax:

Quoting emmy526:

JoeMax
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Bump!
mudwrap
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM
It was very weird. I was alone in the hospital most of the time. Very sad.
Mistweave
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Or just take them with you and wait for a family member to get there to watch them in the waiting room.

JoeMax
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to avoid. So was your SO with your kid(s)?

Quoting mudwrap:

It was very weird. I was alone in the hospital most of the time. Very sad.

JoeMax
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM
That's something to think about, but at the hospital I am going to, the boys will not even be allowed into triage with me unless they have taken a $200 sibling labor and delivery class offered by the hospital. And family would likely not be able to make the hour long drive in time.

Quoting Mistweave:

Or just take them with you and wait for a family member to get there to watch them in the waiting room.

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I have one friend who was able to come over to be with my son when my second arrived. Both my labors were in the middle of the night so that was lucky for me as it didnt interfere with her work schedule and there were no issues there. The plan remains the same this time around, and Im going to talk to them soon to see if something goes wrong and my friend cant come because of work, if her mom can because she'll be out of work on medical leave (but at the end, so she'll be healed up by then). Her mom is also a good friend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured