Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I think my daughter has Down Syndrome....

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 33 Replies

My youngest daughter was deemed to be at high risk for having Down Syndrome when I was pregnant. That never bothered me. I would love my chld no matter what, so it was nothing I ever really thought about or really even believed would ever happen. Not to me. Maybe my neighbor or the uy I see in the supermarket, but something like that would never happen to me, right?

Well, she was born a month early, but was healthy happy and precious. My little bundle of joy. Until a close friend brought it up to me that she has a lot of the facial characteristics of a child with DS. Flat bridge of the nose, upturned nose, the odd eyelids... The more I look, the more I worry. But wouldn't the doctor have caught that? She is 3 months old and has been to the pediatrician's office several times... She doesn't make any facial expressions, including smiling unless she is sleeping or crying. She doesn't coo. She doesn't really make any noises or seem to be advancing in any way other than the little bit of head control she has. Should I be worried? Should I ask her doctor or am I just going to seem like an idiot?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell your doc that you're worried. There are tests I think that can be run. She should probably be smiling by now. Someone told me that my Grandson looked like a fetal alcohol syndrome baby. He turned out to just fine. Good luck honey.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ask your doctor to run some tests on her. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I would talk to her doctor. 

Ethansmommy0213
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Talk to her doctor that way if she does have Down syndrome you know as early as possible. The sooner you know the sooner you can start helping her and the better her outcome will be good luck mama
funhappymom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I would talk to her doctor, especially since one of the side effects of DS is heart problems (not all DS babies have them).

Good luck!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Yep. Gl mama. :)

Quoting jojo_star:

Ask your doctor to run some tests on her. 

iansusie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Many people have those facial characteristics but combined with all the other things you said, you can have the doctor run a test to see if she has DS. If she does, you would want to know sooner rather than later so she can get early intervention to help her thrive! 

winterglow
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Ask your doctor to do her Karyotype. This will give you a real answer. There is no reason to feel foolish. You need to have your mind set at rest.

There are other things to look for than the facial characteristics (let's face it - lots of babies have a flat nose bridge and almond-shaped eyes) - is she "floppy"? If you breastfeed, did she have trouble latching on?

PS - I've been thinking about this. You really should see your doctor as soon as you can about this because if it turns out she DOES have down Syndrome then you are going to need to get her into Early Intervention and the sooner the better. She will NEED this. I'm speaking from experience. One of my twins has Down Syndrome and she started getting physical therapy and speech therapy at the age of 5. The sooner you get started the more you can do for her.

DarlaHood
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I really don't know for sure what happens with DS diagnosis, but if you were at risk and your doctor knew it, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have checked that.  Although doctors and hospitals often baffle me, so if I were you I would certainly check.  Call the hospital and/or your doctor.  Find out if a test has been done, and if not, request a test.

newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I agree with PPs, don't keep stressing and worrying without getting her checked out, take her and voice your concerns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)