Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Neighbors Naughty Kids

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 19 Replies
So almost 2 years ago, I inherited a rather large house from my Aunt. It has a decent size yard (including a fenced in backyard) and is in a great neighborhood. It is a block from a hospital and Sherrif's Department. All of my neighbors are great...except for the 2 families who live behind me. They live in 2 small apartments which are adjoined. One family has 5 kids. The other has 3. They range in ages of about 3 up to 13. Our fence is wooden and 6-8 feet tall. The kids used to climb it. If I left the front door or side door (located inside of my garage) unlocked they would just walk in my house to see if my son could play. My husband talked to the parents several times about these issues and the behavior stopped. They started jumping on our trampoline when they didn't think I would see them and would come into our garage and help themselves to my sons toys and bike. I told the kids that they couldn't do that and it has stopped for the most part. We've tried not to go to the parents over every little thing because we don't want to be accused of being racist or be hard to get along with. Today I was informed my another neighbor that they witnessed 2 of the kids (preteen girls) going through our mailbox yesterday. When they noticed they were being watched, they took off running around they block. We were not home at the time. My question is, what are we supposed to do! The kids are left home a lot, and when the parents are home, they let all of the kids roam the neighborhood as they please. It's always been one thing after another. I'm at a loss!
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I think I would concentrate my efforts on the kids, try to talk with them about what the rules are at your house, clearly their parents aren't teaching them to respect your property. Interfering with the mail is a legal issue, tell them trespassing is as well. I suppose you could get a locking mailbox and an alarm for your house. But I would also invite them over for cookies and just chat with them :)

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I would contact the parents and tell them if their children are caught on your property again you will contact the authorities. 
If a child is hurt on your property you are at fault, even if you aren't home. And messing with your mail is a crime.
Don't be afraid to protect your self from a law suit, or identity theft.  

ACC1984
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Thank you for your input! We do have an alarm installed and even put up no trespassing signs. My husband is in Basic Law Enforcement Training and is afraid of retaliation from one of the fathers. We have suspected he is dealing drugs for a while. We have talked to the kids and parents numerous times about different issues. I keep my doors and windows locked, as well as our gates to the back. I'm just so damn tired of always having to keep watch. I feel like I live in a prison! I'm going to report it to the police department tomorrow as well as the post office. I'm not sure if it will help or cause more problems, but I'm tired.
ACC1984
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I also did invite one of the boys and his brother over to play with my son once. They did homework and then played on the play station. They even played with my dd who was about 4 months old at the time. They seemed so nice and well mannered. After they left though, we discovered that one if the boys had stolen a $60 ps3 game. I told my son that they were no longer allowed in our house. My son confronted him about the game a few days later. The boy pushed my son off of his bike. Lets just say my boy has been taught to stand up for himself. The kid went home crying. I talked to both if them and told them that if they can't play together without putting their hands on each other, then they couldn't play. I don't let them play anymore bc there was another fight. But somehow, all 8 of these kids think its ok to make themselves home here. I'm tired if being a babysitter, being stolen from, and constantly aggravated from the time the school bus drops them off until dark.

Quoting Lindalou907:

I think I would concentrate my efforts on the kids, try to talk with them about what the rules are at your house, clearly their parents aren't teaching them to respect your property. Interfering with the mail is a legal issue, tell them trespassing is as well. I suppose you could get a locking mailbox and an alarm for your house. But I would also invite them over for cookies and just chat with them :)

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like these kids are unsupervised a lot of the time. Have you considered calling child services?

enlightened_24
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Put alarms on you house and garage-not exoensive ones though! We bought these super loud ones that work well at like walmart for about $30. They are enough to scare off kids. Tell the parents if they dont stop you are going to file trespassing on your property but explain to them the amoung of disruption and disrespect they are causing the whole neighborhood.

Tatiana7
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I'd be informing the family the girls are committing a federal offense touching yourr mail.  That is serious, right there.

ACC1984
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I have considered it but haven't done so. The mom that lives in the apartment closest to our house seems to always be home. But she stays inside and let's her 5 kids run wild. The other mom is single and works. Her kids are 8, 10 or 11, and 12 or 13. The oldest is a boy and I think he is supposed to be babysitting the you get 2. Sometimes their Aunt is there (from what I've been told) but I have yet to see her. I don't want to seem like a horrible "get off my grass" type of neighbor lol. But I'm losing my mind over these horrible kids!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

It sounds like these kids are unsupervised a lot of the time. Have you considered calling child services?

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Call the cops!

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I would work out something with the parents before I call the cops. I would do it nice and tell the parents what neighbors have seen. They need to give their children restrictions if there are proplems going on, they might not even be aware. We have a park right on the side of our house. Our street and another little circle street has kids that play their. My dd's got into wandering and playing there. I figured they were close enough and our neighborhood was safe. Well I found out my dd was doing stuff like getting the neigbors hose and spraying the kids. He came over mad and threatened to call the cops.  It just made me feel horrible. I would try to keep up with them, but it can be hard (my dd can scale a wall). I think everyone in the neighborhood knows my kids, you give them an inch of freedom and have to take it away.  Took some time to get them to understand that if they are not where they say, they will be on restriction. And siblings can not always control the other children. We had neighbors before though if you talk to them about anything, they made a fight over it. That is not the additute I had though, mine are really impulsive (my dd also got in trouble for geting into a neighbors chicken coop and stealing eggs), her sister left her so she wouldn't get in trouble and didn't tell me. Yes, everyone knows us LOL. I was nice to the people and explained that she is impulsive and I will talk with her and limit her going out since she is not behaving. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)