Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Booster Seats??

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 74 Replies

When do you go from a car seat to a booster with a back?? Height/weight/age?? Just wondering... 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pce68
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I think it's around 40 lbs and at least 4 years, but some people keep them in car seats much longer.

Cdaly12491
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Okay. I just know so many people around where I live have their 3 year olds in booster seats. My daughter will be 3 in July. She's 30 some pounds and 33 inches tall. I'm just trying to figure out when I need to buy a booster. I think I have a while though. Thanks! :)

Quoting pce68:

I think it's around 40 lbs and at least 4 years, but some people keep them in car seats much longer.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

At the bare minimum 4 years and 40 lbs but the child needs to be mature enough to sit properly 100% of the time.  My almost 6 year old 40 lb son is in a booster because he outgrew his harness.  My minimum age is 5 personally.  He's terrified of not being safe so it's pretty easy with him.

mom4awesomekids
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls are 5 and almost 4 and they are 40 and 32 lbs and they are still in the 5 point harness carseat...they will be in them until they are bigger....it's a lot safer for them.

Cdaly12491
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Yeah my girls will be too now that I've had some input. I feel so at a loss when it comes to car seat safety. I had no clue about the safety of RF until DD1 was already in a FF seat at 13 months, 22 pounds. She's now in a 5 point and will be until she's too big for it. DD2 is almost 13 months and RF. She's not even 20 pounds yet so even if I wanted to turn her she's not big enough lol.... She'll be RF for as long as I can keep her RF. I just have friends and family members who have their 2 & 3 year olds in booster seats already and act like I'm crazy and over protective for keeping her in a 5 point. Oh and the looks I get when I say DD2 will stay RF.... it's awful that I'm being ridiculed for wanting my girls to be as safe as they can be. :(

Quoting mom4awesomekids:

My girls are 5 and almost 4 and they are 40 and 32 lbs and they are still in the 5 point harness carseat...they will be in them until they are bigger....it's a lot safer for them.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I will not put my child in a booster seat before at least 6 years of age.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

My little one will be 3 in August, and she is still rear facing. No way I would put her in a booster seat!!

She's about 32lbs and 36 inches tall.

Quoting Cdaly12491:

Okay. I just know so many people around where I live have their 3 year olds in booster seats. My daughter will be 3 in July. She's 30 some pounds and 33 inches tall. I'm just trying to figure out when I need to buy a booster. I think I have a while though. Thanks! :)

Quoting pce68:

Cdaly12491
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Mine's FF, because I didn't know anything about RF and if I tried turning her at this point she would absolutely have a fit every time we got in the car. I was just looking for some other peoples advice.

Quoting Randi02:

My little one will be 3 in August, and she is still rear facing. No way I would put her in a booster seat!!

She's about 32lbs and 36 inches tall.

Quoting Cdaly12491:

Quoting pce68:

RighteousLove
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

thanks, we live with inlaws, so lol. getting them to an actual toilet is hard enough! we'll manage though.

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, AND the American Academy of Pediatrics, say that kids should stay rear facing until they are 40 lbs, and in 5-point harness car seats until they outgrow MAXIMUM weight and height limit for the seat.  That can be anywhere from 55 to 100 lbs, depending on the seat.  Then, they should be in highback boosters until they are 4'9" AND 120 lbs.  Age is no longer a consideration EXCEPT that all children should remain in the back seat until they are 13 years old. 

Of course, state LAWS are more lenient.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)