Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making cushions

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 2 Replies
My husband and I are working on our first big home project - redoing our 3 season porch. We have great furniture that came with our house, but the cushions needed to go. Hideous pattern, mildewed, just gross. I am set on making them, because those things are expensive! So, where is the best place to buy fabric online? Any tips/suggestions you crafty mamas can throw my way are more than welcome!
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM

If you need to know where to buy fabric online, that makes you a novice.  So MY suggestion is DON'T DO IT!!!  Actually, you CAN buy cushions cheaper than you can make them--look at Home Depot, Lowes when they have sales, or Walmart and Target. 

Constructing cushions is not a 5 minute job.  You will need a GOOD sewing machine that accepts heavy weight fabric, and appropriate needles for the fabric.  Use NEW, sharp needles.  The fabric can be VERY expensive, and is only part of the outdoor grade stuff you need to buy (think thread, batting, welting, etc).  You need to know not only how wide the bolt is, but how wide & tall the print repeat is, in order to determine how much fabric you need.  Unless you're just making throw cushions, you'll need to make the ties, too, so don't forget to figure that in the amount of fabric you need.

Here is some info, and a link to fabric.

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?OutdoorUpholstery.htm

http://www.joann.com/fabric/outdoor-fabric/?page=1&psize=48

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Hi!

You should also check out the Craft Cafe group for more input:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured